Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #21  
looking at the pictures (zoom is a great feature) it looks to me the head gasket has been leaking.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #22  
No cracks or anything that I can see. It's definitely not the seal, it's good and tight.

The top ring gap looks way out. I don't see how it had good compression, unless the 2nd ring is better. No way to measure without pulling it, but it looks over .050"

That ring gap looks worn, the valve in the picture also looks like it may have a groove on the face. I would be checking the other cylinder for wear also.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #23  
I have a Cub 2084 with the Kohler CH 20 engine. I have had problems with the intake valve seals one time and also had a problem with the crankcase breather system. I have also put new rings in the unit. I also use the Mobil 10-30 and when not sucking oil into the combustion area it uses little to no oil.

Kohler recommends using new head gaskets each time a head is removed.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil
I have a Cub 2084 with the Kohler CH 20 engine. I have had problems with the intake valve seals one time and also had a problem with the crankcase breather system. I have also put new rings in the unit. I also use the Mobil 10-30 and when not sucking oil into the combustion area it uses little to no oil.

Kohler recommends using new head gaskets each time a head is removed.

Yeah, the head bolts are one time use as well. What year model is yours? Mine is 2005, maybe it had an updated breather reed.

The best thing I can figure is more dirt got past the filter than I thought. I won't be using that 44" deck anymore, so that shouldn't happen again. with the forward guard off and high lift blades it created a dust storm, and still only cut so-so.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #25  
Yeah, the head bolts are one time use as well. What year model is yours? Mine is 2005, maybe it had an updated breather reed.

The best thing I can figure is more dirt got past the filter than I thought. I won't be using that 44" deck anymore, so that shouldn't happen again. with the forward guard off and high lift blades it created a dust storm, and still only cut so-so.

My 2084 Cub is a 1992 model. Cub was way ahead of the pack until MTD cheapen them down. The 2084 has disc brakes, power steering, hydraulic deck lift , seat with arm rests and tilt steering. The only thing I wish it had is the differential lock.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #26  
I hope you figure this out my Kubota is doing the exact same thing.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #27  
The first photo looks like a crack on both sides of the valve guide. Is that something in the casting or just an optical illusion?

Bob B.

/ Low Hour Kohler CH20 Burning Oil #28  
The first photo looks like a crack on both sides of the valve guide. Is that something in the casting or just an optical illusion?

Bob B.

I thought the same thing the first time I looked at the picture. Later determined it was a cast line from the mold. Just looks like a bad place to have a cast line. Good way to hide a crack that would leak oil..