i1042 mower deck problems

/ i1042 mower deck problems #1  

wickedcubcadet

Tractor
Cub Cadet i1042
Hi Everyone! (also posted this in the general repairs forum)

I have an i1042 Cub Cadet (purchased in '08 but I believe it's an '07). One deck spindle completely came apart and so replaced it with a genuine part replacement (interestingly the new one had a grease nipple where the "original" part did not). However, for some reason the timing of the blades continues to go off sync. I've checked the spindles are both on tight, the timing belt has all the teeth, the spindles where the belt 'attaches' are both in good shape. I can't see how to tighten the belt (the spring loaded pulley seems to be as far over (in the tightening) position as it can be.

Ideas?

p.s. sorry.. lady owner here who is now having to learn how to be a mechanic as I don't have a husband any longer who took care of these things. I can't afford to take the dang thing to get it fixed (can barely afford parts) and my home is for sale so I have to keep the yard (5 acres) looking at least reasonable. Mowing service is $250/time which I can't afford either. So, just looking for some help in figuring out what the issue might be so I can get it working again. Thanks so much.

UPDATE:
ok... went back to play with the deck a bit... discovered that it gets stiff to turn (so the blade rotates clockwise when you are looking at the underneath view)... rotated smoothly in the opposite (backwards) direction. After turning it a bit by hand (and having first re-set the spindles to be at 90 from each other) I noticed that the spindles were almost at 0 to each other. The timing belt is worn a little for sure and I've spotted one tooth that's partially worn off - doesn't appear to be so bad that this is causing the issue... but could it??????? I made sure both spindles were greased to run smoothly... may just remove the timing belt completely (uh-gain) and check both spindles run smoothly in both directions before putting it all back together (uh-gain). Any suggestions? please?

/ i1042 mower deck problems #2  
wickedcubcadet,

You go girl!

First, make sure that when all belted up, that the two blades are 90 degrees to each other. Having never owned a 1042, I don't know if the blade center points are geared to match the spindle or not, but make sure that they are properly seated before you tighten the bolts up if they are.

My CC, a Z Force 48, doesn't have the geared mounting center points, so I have to make certain that the blades are all 90 degrees to each other, and then really tighten them down to keep them from moving when spinning.

Next to consider, are the drive pulleys for each blade the same diameter? If one is even slightly larger or smaller, that will put them out of sync when spinning. They both must be the same diameter. (previous owne r changed one and put on a larger/smaller one?)

Lastly, the drive belt to the motor and the deck must be properly routed. If you don't have the owner's manual to show the detail, Google search "Cub Cadet 1042 pictures" and scroll down the page to the deck belt routing diagram. It shows how the belt leaves the motor power take off to the left side stationary idler pulley, goes around the left blade pulley, and then goes UNDER that stationary idler pulley on its way to the spring loaded idler pulley. Check the diagram, as it explains it better than I can. Good Luck, and get back to us on how it works out for you.

/ i1042 mower deck problems #3  
thanks for the encouragement! (really needed it) :)

yes, there's a star center on each spindle with one notch different from the others so there's only one way the blade goes on. Top of the spindle has an arrow so from the top of the deck you can see the 90 offset orientation (or not as the case might be) and adjust accordingly. The spindles both appear to be the same diameter and they are sitting at the same height (eyeballing) above the deck. The pulley in between the spindles however is just a tad bit off and I don't know if "a tad bit" is enough to make this go out of sync or not (thinking not).

The mower was brand new when I bought it (HD)... and rather odd to find one spindle w/o a grease nipple and one with... not something I realized as the ex was taking care of the tractor until last year. When I went to service it before using this season is when I noticed the lack of grease points and also that the shoulders were worn down on the star where the blade sits... kinda suspected that spindle had a limited life but hoped it would last this one last season (not to be). Fitting the new one was easy peasy even for a rookie like me.

Drive belt is routed correctly (3x checked) and there's a diagram actually on the deck itself.

I've ordered a new timing belt as the one I have is certainly a bit worn. No idea if that's the problem... another $50 spent on this dang thing. I also re-greased both spindles and it seems to run more smoothly both backwards and forwards now.

Anything else I should check? I'm getting so good at getting the deck on and off (if you ignore the cuts and bruises) I could probably get a job as pit crew in some motor sports team. ;)

Is there a service manual for these things anywhere? the owner's manual is virtually useless and CC's idea of troubleshooting help is well... also useless.

/ i1042 mower deck problems #4  
Service manuals are SOMETIMES available for free download from the CubCadet website, but you'll need the exact model number of the mower - Riding Mower, Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn Mower. I know it says Owner's Manuals, but if there is a Service Manual available it will come up in the list of download files for your model.

/ i1042 mower deck problems #5  
OP - look under the tilting seat in cavity - find FULL model # and serial # on ID tag. go to website PDF Manual Web Archive enter requested data - d/l free pdf file of owners manual and parts manual; service manual if available. Owners manual will give you proper instructions for replacing blades/timing deck.

/ i1042 mower deck problems #7  
Also these decks that have plastic pulleys they wear down and the belt has little to grab on. How do they look?