2005 Cub Cadet Super LT 1554, for $800.--Worth It?

/ 2005 Cub Cadet Super LT 1554, for $800.--Worth It? #1  

My Hoe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC, BH77, 5' Belly Mower, 6' Hyd. Angle Plow
Hi all,

My experience with lawn tractors is limited to many hours on a gear-drive, '80's-vintage Ariens (42" cut), a couple of 1960, gear-drive, 8-10 hp., Simplicity's, a few hours on a '72 Wheel Horse GT14 (48" cut, hydro, 14hp Kohler single) that I refurbed for a friend, and too many hours on a gaggle of Sears rear-engine riders. (And I have yet to actually mow with my Kubota B3000--long story).

So, I'm hoping folks might have some additional knowledge of what to look for, to help me decide whether or not to get into a 2005 Cub Cadet "Super LT 1554" that my neighbor has, with 362 hours on it, with an "ask" of $900. He bought it to flip, as the previous owner didn't want to mess with a broken drive belt.

This tractor starts right up and idles down nicely, and quietly, and doesn't appear to smoke. (I read the 27hp Kohler "Command" V-Twin has HYDRAULIC valve lifters, like a car--is that actually true? Because I think that's kinda cool.) I haven't yet had the chance to do more than move it around on the driveway yet, but I'll be "test mowing" with it, hopefully today or tomorrow.

We'd like some type of lawn tractor for the place we're moving to (and currently visit/"stay-cation" at) because there will be areas I cannot get to with the Kubota B3000, due to it's cab, and some grades that are beyond the "stability-envelope" of the B3000, which has a fairly high center of gravity, given it's 14" of ground clearance and relatively-narrow width, considering the cab, etc.... (The Kubota is currently hours away, and won't be on-site until we actually move, a couple of years from now.)

In other words, since we're currently paying to have this property mowed, we don't need a lawn tractor...yet, but when we move there in a couple of years, we'll definitely have a number of uses for one--mowing the small, but steeper, areas around the barn/other buildings, under the apple trees, pulling a "leaf sweeper," moving the woodsplitter, etc....

And I would use it with a "leaf sweeper," now, if I had a lawn tractor....

So...my neighbor is asking $900. for the 2005 Cub Cadet Super LT 5115, he'll probably let me have it for $800. or a little less, but I know he only paid $400. for it, and I do see, on the interwebs, the following issues, MANY of which seem to occur just over or under the 100-hour mark:

PTO failures

Transmission (hydro) failures
Steering Failures--as in, apparently the steering shaft is not well-secured, allowing the pinion gear to move away from the steering "sector" (?) gear, causing it to jump teeth.

And this particular example has what feels like excessive play in the steering (1"-plus), yet from what I can see, the steering shaft is not jumping around at all. I will check the tie rod ends, to make sure they're not worn, and try to find the source of this excessive play....

My neighbor showed me that this tractor is missing some small parts, which I'm sure will be more of a PITA to track down, rather than expensive: a "pre-filter" wrap on the air filter (like on a dirtbike?), no hood latch, a missing, rubber grommet where (apparently) oil vapor goes back into R.H. valve cover, and a torn rubber hose to the rubber, vapor "canister." But he claims to have done an engine oil change (filter allegedly $14.?), put a new drive belt on it, and it is very clean, in appearance.

HOWEVER, there seems to be a disturbing amount of "horror stories," by dissatisfied Cub Cadet 1554 owners (involving "LT1554's," "Super LT1554's" and "GT 1554's) out there, a lot of which are contained in this thread, below, much of which I believe much dates from 2008:

Cub Cadet vs. John Deere
Cub Cadet vs. John Deere

Lastly, there's links out there to at least three Cubs in the 1000 series (if not all 1554's--not sure) that CAUGHT FIRE and BURNED TO THE GROUND.

So, opinions on whether this is a good deal or not are most welcome, as are answers/advice re: any of my other questions, and just general advice on this model, good, bad or ugly. :D

Thanks much,

My Hoe

P.S.:

I'm also confused by seeing Cub Cadets which have decals on their hoods that say "GT 1554" as opposed to this model's "Super LT 1554." Are the "GT 1554's" actually a heavier-duty unit, or is this just "marketing" or "badge-engineering" for different years? If the "GT's" are actually heavier-duty units, can someone lay out which years these tractors were called which model names? (I got the "2005" date from the data tag under the seat.)

Also, does "LT" stand for Lawn Tractor?

And what does the "Super" in "Super LT 1554" signify (if anything)?

/ 2005 Cub Cadet Super LT 1554, for $800.--Worth It?
see TractorData.com Cub Cadet SLT1554 tractor information for more data...

"slt" means lawn tractor (lighter duty)
"gt" means garden tractor (ground engaging)

rcbe,

Ah-ha! I thought the might be the case (re: the GT = ground-engaging capability)--thanks for the clarification.

And thanks for the link--I'll check it out (though I can say--and no offense intended, whatsoever--that that site has been incorrect, more often than one would expect, at least in terms of Kubota-specific information that I'm very familiar with). But it's definitely still a good resource, and a good place to start. :)

Much appreciated! As will be any other folk's contributions to what I realize is a rather large number of questions I asked, in my original post.

If I can make it work, I'll try to put up pics--I found that the source of much of the steering play is due to worn-out, rubber bushings, on the rear ends of the tie rond ends (the ones that hook to the steering "sector gear" (if that's the correct term?).

Cub's manual calls the rear end of the tie rod ends "drag links," and I don't know how soft, rubber bushings were ever expected to last in such an application, but none of the parts look expensive, even if I need a new "sector gear" and pinion gear, the latter of which is not very worn, actually.

But the sector gear keeps "cocking," up and down, when you try to turn. I'm not sure if that's a just a symptom, caused by the excessive play due to the trashed, rubber bushings, or whether or not this "rocking" sector gear (and it's bolt) are also worn out, and need replacement.
I hope to disassemble it and find out what's what...IF I have time, before leaving town.

Anyone with input on that issue is most welcome to chime in, of course!

Thanks again.

/ 2005 Cub Cadet Super LT 1554, for $800.--Worth It? #4  
Had an SLT1550 for many years, finally sold it (for $200, the transmission was worth that much) when the mower deck just gave out. Had already repaired it a few times, the steel is just so thin ANY rust that isn't put in check quickly will become an issue.

I think it had about ~300 hours on it, rarely got serviced (oil filter costs as much as a auto/tractor filter). Replaced a few belts and batteries over the years, one starter as well.
Mower was not treated kindly and was often used to tow around a heavy, loaded 5x10 trailer.

Steering issues, yep. You'll be replacing the drag links, the gear that drives the flat toothed part they are attached to and the bushing, as it all eventually wears out.

/ 2005 Cub Cadet Super LT 1554, for $800.--Worth It? #5  
You don't have to pay big bucks for an oil filter...

My 2005, LT1050, has the Kohler Command, CV730 engine....Not the Kohler Courage, SV740 engine that you have in the SLT 1554. But they both come with, or call for the same Kohler 12-050-01-s oil filter. I only used a couple of these filters when the mower was new, before finding a more economical replacement. Over the years, I've used many Purolator L10241 filters on this engine.....and more recently The NAPA Silver 31348. Either one will do a fine job, at a fraction of the cost of a Kohler......the last NAPA 31348 I bought, was on sale for $2.50. I have two BMW Motorcycles that I use this same NAPA 31348 filter on......for the BMW branded filter is even more costly than the Kohler.

I have to add that my old LT1050, now has 1,230 hours on the meter. Runs as well as ever, no smoke......no oil use between 50 hour changes.