CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK

/ CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK #1  

fredflintstone

Silver Member
Tractor
cub cadet LS4140
IM AM LOOKING TO SPEED UP MY DECK BY CHANGING PULLY DIA. HAS ANYONE HAD SUCESS DOING IT ? WANT TO INCRESE
MY DRIVE SPEED BY MAKING DECK SPIN FASTER THUS DRIVING FASTER.

/ CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK #2  
flintstone - deck RPM and tractor ground speed are independent of each other in your unit. Changing deck pulley size will not affect ground speed.
OTOH, if you expect to be able to travel faster because of simply cutting quicker, you run the risk of exceeding "max. blade tip speed" and related safety hazards. Really suggest multiple passes, sharp blades, clean deck underside, full engine throttle as alternative approaches within the the tractor's designed parameters. JMHO.

Last edited:
   / CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK #3  
As rcbe stated . . Separate issues. To change ground speed you'd need to alter engine rpm or wheel suze. But to what end or goal ??

/ CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK #4  
By increasing the deck rotation RPM, you won't get any increase in tractor speed MPH. You are talking about two different, separately controlled systems.
Now, you could increase the speed (RPM) of the deck by using different sheaves, but you would also need a different belt. But increasing the speed (RPM) of the deck, you would run into other problems including longevity of the parts involved. Hitting an object at, say 300 rpm, the blade would likely try to knock it away if it can't cut it through. Hitting that same object at 600 RPM may shatter the blade, creating shrapnel that could do even more damage.

/ CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK #5  
As rcbe stated . . Separate issues. To change ground speed you'd need to alter engine rpm or wheel size. But to what end or goal ??

In addition, altering your mowers ground speed ratio can effect the quality of your cut. Normal grass cutting isn't done at full speed of the hydro unless the grass is very short already and bone dry . . because you are moving faster than the deck can cleanly cut before clogging and resistance. If you are looking only at ground speed for tranport that is different.

And changing deck cutting pullys would only be possible at the engine shaft location because all others have guards that would not allow clearance.

/ CUB LTX1050 MOWER DECK
my main issue was blade speed, faster it mows faster I can go and im notcertin but beleave commercial application allows higher blade tip rpm
and this is my mower not needing a governmental sticker saying so and don't plan on going all crazy with the rpms a couple hundred more mite
do the trick, and don't have all the answers but was just thinking someone may have already tried it