2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned....

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned.... #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
Run Down.... just put on new carb out of Kohler factory sealed factory box....
old carb had stuck float....decided on new carb.
Engine started up almost immediately, and runs like a Swiss watch.
After....Tractor failed to start, and upon battery connection inspection...
positive cable broke in 2 pieces....due to corrosion....over the years.
Installed new positive battery cable end today.... and all's I get is
a click from the carb solenoid. Voltage is 12 at battery, and starter....but no drop
in voltage when key is turned to start. New cable end seems to be crimped tight....
but I am thinking, it is not crimped tight enough....or starter is bad ?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Pete
Hudson Valley , NY

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned.... #2  
Perhaps you knocked a wire loose on the solenoid or you misplaced one. Seems the only electrical change you made was the cable so I'd be looking there.

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned.... #3  
If the positive cable was that bad I would take a good look at the negative cable. If you have a set of jumper cables try connecting one from the negative battery terminal and the other end to the engine frame.

Bob B.

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned....
Problem Solved....but new / old problem cropped up....
Electrical issue was sticky blades switch...some WD40 , and all is fine.
Bad news.... engine cuts out , and I think it is the fuel filter.....new in May 2016,
but contaminated fuel was poured in gas tank, ( since drained , and fresh fuel added )
but I seem to see some dirt in fuel filter, which I will replace.
My question is, what is the best fuel filter for the Kohler Command V-twin
which uses a mechanical fuel pump , running off cam in left bank cylinder.
Thanks,
Pete

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned.... #5  
GTS - Kohler engines are a bit picky about wanting the correct OEM fuel filter called out in the IPL.. if nohing else, go to the kohler small engine website, lookup the filter p/n for your engine and then pick one up from a dealer or such. Aftermarket fuel filters just don't do well on the Kohlers. Would also do a drain/flush on the fuel tank and lines before installing new filter - just to make sure any trash is cleared out.

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned....
...just an update on the 3206...recent new fuel pump, new factory carb. , new factory filter....
now starts and runs fine for 10 seconds.... before it suddenly dies...w t f, is going on here ?
It's too cold here in the North East to fool with it....but in the spring , will check to see if it
has spark, after it dies....if it does I am going to pull the tank, was trying to avoid that.....
but as you said rcbe...there must be trash in the tank.... but if it does not have spark....any ideas ?

Pete

/ 2002 3206 .... click only when key is turned.... #7  
I have three tractor with Kohler engines. Two at 18 hp and one at 25HP. Fuel pumps are on valve covers.
I have had them for years and have just used the universal plastic automotive filters costing about $2 each. They have ends that accept 1/4 or 5/16" fuel line.

Lots of filter area means no pressure loss and much better filtration that some of the small engine filters that are quite expensive.

Dave M7040