Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins #1  

Wasmeneh

Silver Member
My IH Cub Cadet 124 was running fine. Ha her out an running for about an hour 2 weeks ago. She was irty so I took her out again an last week an cleaned her up. A couple of days ago went to start her up (new Battery 2 weeks ago) an starter generator would just spin not turning engine over. After a few trys it caught for a short time but not long enough to start. I eventually got it started but shut her off after letting her run for a while same thing. Is there some type of a throw out clutch or something that needs to be cleaned or serviced. Thanks in advance
Mike

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins #2  
There is a solenoid usually attached to the starter but some old style mounted to the side.
Sounds like it is dirty and sticking or you are not getting enough voltage to the solenoid coil to activate it.
Start with checking the voltage getting to the solenoid. Needs to be 12 volt or higher.

Don't forget to look for loose wires.

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins
don't think a starter/generator had a solenoid

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins #4  
Maybe some more info on your machine. How old, hours,
Starters take a lot of amps to operate. The solenoid is a magnetic contact switch to send the max amount of amps available to the starter motor.

I am not familiar with your particular machine and don't know what a starter/generator is but starters engage the flywheel and crank the engine over. This requires a solenoid to move the sprocket forward to engage the flywheel. Most likely the solenoid is a smaller round cylinder on top of the starter motor.

Intermittent engagement indicates the solenoid is not engaging the starter. This is usually due to low voltage or the solenoid is worn out.

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins #5  
Every 124 I've seen has the old Delco Remy starter generator that's belt driven is that what you have?

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins #6  
Might need to replace the carbon brushes and bearings in the starter. Could even go for a complete rebuild, if needed.

Yes this is correct the old Delco Remy, it spins, the belt moves but the engine is turning over. If I pump the clutch which turns on and off the start switch it will eventually catch ant turn the motor over. The Cub is at another house about 60 miles away. Next time I'm up there I may take it off and bring it home for a good cleaning. I was wondering if the belt engaged a clutch to get the motor to engage and start.

/ Cub Caet 124- Starter/generator just spins #8  
Yes this is correct the old Delco Remy, it spins, the belt moves but the engine is turning over. If I pump the clutch which turns on and off the start switch it will eventually catch ant turn the motor over. The Cub is at another house about 60 miles away. Next time I'm up there I may take it off and bring it home . I was wondering if the belt engaged a clutch to get the motor to engage and start.[/QU

If the starter/generator and pulley are turning and the engine isn't the belt is slipping. You might make it work by tightening it but it is probably glazed and needs a new one. Getting it wet got it started slipping.

Never thought about the belt slipping , didn't hear any slipping sounds but it's tough to be sitting on tractor and observe what's going on up front .