Does anyone have "zero turn regret"?

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #1  

Dredwolf

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 250
When my LTX1050 threw a belt and my son lost the two deck wheels (of course I found all of this on a Saturday afternoon), I was able to borrow a neighbors RZT 54 to mow the lawn. I have about 2.3 acres (with a total of 3.5 that I could mow) to cut and trim out between my place and my mother's, excluding the pastures I cut with a 6' Hardee bush hog and tractor. I picked up on the zero turn operation in minutes, and before I knew it, was LOOKING for grass to mow. As I had to weld on the LTX deck the next weekend, I borrowed the RZT again, and this time, ran a stopwatch. In less than 90 minutes, I had cut the 2.3 acres (1 acre has lots of trees and flower beds) and maybe another acre in areas I would like to mow regularly during the summer. I had no idea a zero turn could make that big of difference.
So I am in the market for a zero turn, and I have a Cub Cadet dealer less than 5 miles from me. So many of the lawn equipment forums bash anything with Cub Cadet, but my LTX1050 ran for 6 years before I replaced the first belt on it. In truth, I think its because I waited too long on the drive belt, and so, I had to replace the trans cooling fan too.

The Z force line looks stout, but what do those that have owned one of them think now? Good buy for a "heavy duty" residential, or bad idea, and head towards one of the "prosumer/land owner" models by other manufacturers?

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #2  
Mine is too big. I bought a 54" Husqvarna with a fabricated deck because it was a bargain. 35 hours and saved $2800.00 plus tax on a used a few months old with 2 years of warranty left. Too small for the first owner. Cut most of my acre in under 20 minutes. I will live with it

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #3  
I sold my RTZ50 to get the ZD1211. The RTZ50 was OK for smooth ground and short grass. I mow about 2 acres now with the zero turn and have another acre that I am working so I can use the zero turn instead of the tractor. It is all trees. The 24 HP diesel does not slow down in high or wet grass, no comparison to a gas mower.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #4  
Dredwolf,

I have a well used Z Force 48 zero turn. Its about a 2003 and had about 300 hours on it when it was repowered with a B&S 26 HP twin (original motor would have been a B&S 22HP. During the next how many years until I bought it in 2013, the PO hadn't hooked up the hour meter, so who knows how many hours are actually on it? I reconnected the hour meter shortly after purchase and it has 472 hours showing now. I cut an acre and a half in no time at all. My old John Deere 175 Hydro 38 inch deck took 2 hours and then some. The Z Force has it done in an hour.

Problems? Zero! Sharpen blades, clean under deck, inflate tires, oil changes and filter, lube machine. That's it.

Now, before I bought the Z Force, I did extensive research on all of the manufacturers of zero turn mowers, and I discovered an alarming fact of all of the introductory models by just about every manufacturer. Cub Cadet, Sears Craftsman, John Deere, Toro, Snapper, and so on.

They almost all use the lightest Hydro Gear hydraulic drive motors in their introductory mowers. They can not be rebuilt, you cannot get parts for them, they are throw away motors that have to be replaced when they develop an issue. That's frequently at 300 hours from what I've read, and the last price I saw for just one motor (one each side) was about $900 US.

When I researched the Z Force and the hydraulic drive motors in them, I saw that they are the heavier Hydro Gear ZT 2800 series, for which parts are readily available from many sources. They are the heaviest motors Hydro gear makes for residential level mowers. Commercial units have several heavier models well above the ZT 2800.

That essentially was what made me jump on the used Z Force that I came across. Heavily built and has been absolutely dependable.

Gene

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"?
I'm looking at the Z Force LX series, which uses the ZT 3100's, such is used on the Graverly ZT HD and the Husqvarnia MZ series. I used to try and buy tools and equipment of "normal" durability, but found out I should buy heavy duty everything for life on this attempt at a farm. I tend to keep equipment a long time, but the same can't be said when my number one helper tries to push the equipment "just a little more".
Thanks for the info on the Z Force, the frames don't seem as heavy as some of the others in the range, but my local dealer is a family that has always done right by me.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"?
Mine is too big. I bought a 54" Husqvarna with a fabricated deck because it was a bargain. 35 hours and saved $2800.00 plus tax on a used a few months old with 2 years of warranty left. Too small for the first owner. Cut most of my acre in under 20 minutes. I will live with it

When it comes to equipment, you rarely hear anyone say they bought too much tractor, truck, trailer, etc. But that was a heck of a bargain.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #7  
Next choice to this was a new 48". No fabricated deck, less power, weaker transmissions and slightly less warranty. Would have saved about $150.00.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #8  
I bought a Toro ZT with a 42" deck, main reason is my ground in not exactly level. any bigger and I'd be scalping. The only regret I have, more of a complaint actually, is the traction is terrible. Would I have bought it knowing what I know now.....probably, but i would have got something with bigger drive wheels hoping the traction would have been better.........Mike

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #9  
Interesting thread.. I was wondering if anyone has used the ZERO TURN w/ a steering wheel?? I see them advertised on tv..
The wife loves to mow the lawn, 2 acres.. & the neighborhood men like to watch.. lol..
She's rather large up top & likes to get some sun when she's cutting.. lol
I can ALWAYS TELL when she mowing.. I turn the corner in the truck & all the neighborhood guys are standing in the road sippin suds & "chatting".. Lol
Lets just say, she would have a REAL hard time picking up the 2 handle controls on the standard zero turn mower..

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #10  
I bought a Toro ZT with a 42" deck, main reason is my ground in not exactly level. any bigger and I'd be scalping. The only regret I have, more of a complaint actually, is the traction is terrible. Would I have bought it knowing what I know now.....probably, but i would have got something with bigger drive wheels hoping the traction would have been better.........Mike
It's not.