Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging

/ Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging #1  

mgmine

Tractor
cub cadet ltx1046 vt
I have a Briggs 23 hp on a Cub Cadet that isn't charging. I tested the battery and it was at 12.5 volts. I turned the engine on and tested it, still 12.5 volts at the battery. Next I disconnected the yellow wire at the voltage regulator(only one yellow wire) and tested the stator and it was putting out about 40 volts AC so I hooked it back up.

I tested the red wire that connects to the voltage regulator with the ignition on and got nothing from the battery, was expecting at least battery voltage.
I tested for continuity with the red wire to the first connector disconnected and have continuity.
I also get 12+ volts on the red wire on the connector side when it is disconnected at the connector, why now and not when it is connected?
I then disconnected the red wire at the regulator and tested the voltage coming out of the regulator and it was about 8 volts.
I replaced the regulator with an aftermarket one thinking it wasn't putting enough out. Retested everything and got almost the identical results with the new regulator. Still only putting out about 8 volts. Coincidence? What am I testing wrong? Thanks for any information. Model 446777
type 0763 B1
code 100504 G

/ Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging #2  
40 volt AC output says the stator is good and you have a 16 amp charging system. You can't test the output of the regulator because you have to have 12 volts input to close the microswitch inside to make it work. Make sure you have a good ground connection for the regulator because it doesn't work if not properly grounded. Take a wire and run it from the positive battery post to the output connector of the regulator and then test the battery voltage. I suspect you are not getting continuous 12 volts to the regulator therefore no charge output.

You can make that temporary wire i suggested permanent if need be. I will not disharge the battery, and most manufacturers don't recommend going through the key switch with the charging system anyway. Kohler says to clip the charge wire and connect directly to the starter solenoid on the battery side to make is full time hot.

/ Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging
I was wondering if i could run a separate wire. Needing12 volts would seem to indicat that the wire doesn't have a diode between the regulator and battery. would this be a good assumption? Thanks

/ Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging #4  
No diode. Just direct wired to battery voltage. The diodes are in the regulator which will prevent battery discharge. Well it will discharge the battery to were it won't start the mower, because there is some leakage to ground to make the internal parts works. Takes about 10000+ hours. maximum 100 milliamp drain.

/ Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging
thanks ill try to track the wire down and find where it goes to. must be around the selonoid I'm thinking