Mulching kit worthwhile?

/ Mulching kit worthwhile? #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
Anyone here have a mulching kit installed for an XT1or2? (preferably 42")

The salesman wasn't very keen on the mulching kit and instead talked up how nicely the clippings would be evenly scattered out the discharge.

They were, but I think I would still like not having the chute hanging way out on the one side, and not worry as much about crap getting flung out from the mower.

/ Mulching kit worthwhile? #2  
I was just talking to my selling dealer about a mulching kit for my Pro Z 160 ZT with 4 wheel steering. Though it's a totally different mower, the same principles apply, IMHO. Mulching kits are fine if you're going to mulch around an inch of grass off the lawn every week. Otherwise you'll likely spend more time cleaning out your mower deck from jammed up grass. Don't know where you live, but in the NE this 'summer' rain is the predominant weather pattern these days! And that's not ideal for consistent mowing each week of only an inch or so of new grass....

For instance I have a Husky 322T Rider with Combi 46" mulching deck. It's awesome at cutting grass of most heights and mulching it to *smithereeens, (*technical term);)
BUT the reason it can do so, IMHO is because it is designed as a mulching deck from the drawing board. Converting a deck from side or rear discharge by adding a baffle kit to change the underside design of the deck is not as effective as a purposeful deck for mulching only. In other words, one trick pony most effective in getting mulching done. Conversion to multi-purpose not so much.
Just my experience....

/ Mulching kit worthwhile?
Thinking I'll get one when the budget allows, if no other reason to reduce the odds a kid gets hit by flung stick or rock.

/ Mulching kit worthwhile? #4  
I had the mulching kit fitted to my 54inch tractor style Cub cadet. I found it has worked really well with dry grass, little damp and you begin to see the clippings, especially when you are giving the grass a good trim. For me it works well, I will not be going back to regular blades.

/ Mulching kit worthwhile? #5  
I've got the mulching kit on the 54" fabricated deck on my Pro Z 154S.

It does the best job mowing and mulching that I've ever seen. Even when the grass is tall and damp, the results look like I used a bagger. The best part is that there is almost no buildup underneath the deck, even when the grass was damp.

I can't speak for the quality of the mulching kit on other decks, especially stamped decks, but my experience has been outstanding.