Cub LTX 1042KW Kawasaki 18hp shuts down after warmup.

/ Cub LTX 1042KW Kawasaki 18hp shuts down after warmup. #1  

UpstateSC

Tractor
Cub Cadet LTX1042KW
Hello all,

My Cub Cadet lawn tractor starts up great cold, runs without choke fine first several minutes even with mower deck engaged, but seems like after it warms up I lose power. If I disengage the pto and choke it I can usually make it back to the carport before it shuts down, which makes me suspect a fuel problem over an electrical issue. It has the 18hp Kawasaki engine. Any ideas to what may be going on here?

/ Cub LTX 1042KW Kawasaki 18hp shuts down after warmup. #2  
Something floating around in the tank or carb that is plugging off the fuel flow. Also it twin cylinder, could be dropping one cylinder causing the loss of power and rough running. Also wouldn't rule out a fuel line issue. The newer fuel lines have a plastic liner that can come loose and block off the fuel line. Will normally feel like a soft spot in the fuel line. Normally in the area of being clamped off to stop fuel flow to change filters or were items have been connected. together.

/ Cub LTX 1042KW Kawasaki 18hp shuts down after warmup.
Thanks, those sound like good places to start. I thought of some of that but it runs so well at first I had discounted fuel line or filter issue. Once the roughness starts it gets worse until it won't continue running even fully choked, so that seems like its suddenly getting too much fuel if I'm thinking correctly.

/ Cub LTX 1042KW Kawasaki 18hp shuts down after warmup. #4  
A clogged vent hole in the fuel cap will cause the same symptoms.

/ Cub LTX 1042KW Kawasaki 18hp shuts down after warmup. #5  
It is a fuel issue if it helps to run it with the choke on! With the plastic tanks there has been some issues with loose plastic in the tanks hindering performance right down to shutting off the tractor. Unfortunately there has been some that did not get cleaned as well before assembly!