Kohler Courage compression release

/ Kohler Courage compression release #1  

Capt. Bob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 FEL
My Kohler engine on my Lt1050 will not turn over even after I adjusted the valves and put on new starter. I think it is the compression release has stopped working. What is involved in getting to it to fix it? Anybody done this before? Thanks

/ Kohler Courage compression release #2  
I've not had an ACR failure on a Courage twin.The starter has been updated a few times by Kohler to have more torque. This was to mainly correct the breaking of the starter shafts though. Did you get a Kohler starter or an aftermarket? Grounding the ignition and removing the spark plugs, does it crank easily? Battery load tested and at least 250 CCA? Connections clean or jump to the starter direct? Should you suspect valve lash, .004 TDC is set- further insert a feeler in between the rocker and valve end to mimick a compression release and try to crank again.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #3  
is this a single or twin cylinder. I have replaced the compression release on the single.

/ Kohler Courage compression release
It is a Courage twin 26 hp. The battery and connections are good. I even tried it jumping the battery from my Kioti CK30 battery still no joy. The engine turns over good with the spark plugs removed and the valve lash is set at .004 on both sides. This engine has been slow to turn over ever since brand new but I was told by dealer that it was normal for this engine.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #5  
How many hours on this Courage 26HP V Twin? I have one also but have not had a starting issue... yet. Mine is at 580 hours and I will be honest.... I have yet to even pull a valve cover to look at the valves. Maybe I am on borrowed time!? My Courage engine is in a Husqvarna built and Craftsman branded garden tractor, so far it has been a flawless powerhouse of an engine. Lets hope that this trend continues!

How many hours on this Courage 26HP V Twin? I have one also but have not had a starting issue... yet. Mine is at 580 hours and I will be honest.... I have yet to even pull a valve cover to look at the valves. Maybe I am on borrowed time!? My Courage engine is in a Husqvarna built and Craftsman branded garden tractor, so far it has been a flawless powerhouse of an engine. Lets hope that this trend continues!

Mine only has 152 hrs. on it. The valves were at .009 on one side when I checked. I am going to pull the flywheel if it ever warms up around here and check the keyway.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #7  
I have read time and again negative comments about these courage engines, I'm not sure if I am a one in the million lucky person or what. My Kohler Courage engine that 580 hours is the same as the day I bought it, and I've never changed a spark plug. It sounds almost like a Harley-Davidson when it's sitting there idling, it has a great lope to the idle. It makes tremendous power for working on these steep hills and is an all-around awesome engine from my experience. But again my experience does not seem to mirror every owners.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #8  
The Courage twin overall has been a good engine. Valve lash service is suggested @ 300 hours much like many Kawasaki and Honda engines. (Brings Intek @ 100 hours ) As with many engines, if they aren't problematic on the compression release front- they aren't touched and probably don't need to be.Things to specifically know on the twins is never fill oil above the full mark, error on the light side- checking with the dipstick all the way in. The struggling starter motors are another which is why they upgraded them. Use OEM. The single Courages aren't awful, but with the thin cover plate and deep sump are tagged "bucket engines"- and especially by those who have had a cracked block.

I went through several parts diagrams and there is apparently no compression release on the Courage v-twin engine. If there is no one including Kohler does not sell the parts for it.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #10  
I would think that the ACR is in how the cam is ground. I admit that the service manual is of little help. Sometimes Kohler manuals omit the obvious.