CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command #1  

Mojoman

Bronze Member
This is a follow up to my previous post, where I found a '02 cc 2166 w/kohler command. Dealer said he'd sell me the tractor w/42" snowthrower for $2900.00 total (w/o tax)

Opinions on the 2166? Is this a good tractor? $1000 more than I was going to spend originally, but I got the okay from the boss to get it if I want.

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command
well, I found out that the engine in this is a 16hp kohler command single cyl, spring assist deck/attachment lift, doesn't mow in reverse. But, the dealer that's selling it said that it's a commercial grade engine, is this correct?
Also, I called another dealer just to see if they had any older new leftovers, and while talking with him, he said that the single cyl motor would wear out before one of the new twin cyl engines. Is this a valid statement as well? Again, I'll admit I redefine the word ****, but I want to get a tractor in my budget that will last. I hate having to buy stuff twice. This other dealer also told me that $2400 was what these tractors went for in '02, so would I be out of line asking for an even better deal, even with the discount he's giving me on the thrower?

Is that 16hp motor going to have any problems blowing snow or will it cause it to wear out sooner than expected?

I'm going to run down to that dealership tomorrow and take it for a test drive to how she fits. But before I lay down the green, I want to feel good about the build quality of this machine.

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command #3  
Back when the 2166 was being made it was our best selling model. Don't let the single cylinder 16hp push you away, its still a Kohler and still a great, heavily built, motor. I would strongly recommend this mower to anyone, they are great units.

thanks gamble for the input /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

well, went and put down payment on the 2166 today. Picking it up on Monday, w/42" blower, 42" deck w/mulch plug & rear weights and bracket (suitcase weights) I can't wait to run it around the block to "break it in" for the neighbors /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command #6  
congrats on the purchase! Would love to see some pics when you get a chance.

Thanks gamble, I'll have to clean it up beforehand, as it was a little dusty from sitting there.

I have a few questions now that I have myself a new tractor, and have no real experience with the larger machines.
1.) Is there a "break-in" period that the motor should be run without cutting grass?

2.) Are parts still readily available for this model? (I guess I should've looked into that before getting it huh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

3.) How well will this thing mulch with what seems to be a shallower deck and only double blade?

4.) Do you recommend changing the oil right after the break-in period, if applicable?

5.) Are the bagger units made for the newer models compatible with this one? (i think I want a bagger, just for the first couple of mows this year)

thanks guys!

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks gamble, I'll have to clean it up beforehand, as it was a little dusty from sitting there.

I have a few questions now that I have myself a new tractor, and have no real experience with the larger machines.

1.) Is there a "break-in" period that the motor should be run without cutting grass?

2.) Are parts still readily available for this model? (I guess I should've looked into that before getting it huh /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

3.) How well will this thing mulch with what seems to be a shallower deck and only double blade?

4.) Do you recommend changing the oil right after the break-in period, if applicable?

5.) Are the bagger units made for the newer models compatible with this one? (i think I want a bagger, just for the first couple of mows this year)

thanks guys! )</font>

1. Yes ther is a break in period, run the engine 3/4 throttle no load for 1 hour. mow at a slow speed at full throttle 2nd hour. mow at normal speed full throttle from there on.

2. Yes parts are almost always readiliy available for most any cub even the OLD ones

3. I had a 2166 and it mulched pretty good as long as the grass was good and dry.

4. The recommended first oil change is after 5 hours and again at 10 and next 50 and then 100 and every season or 100 hours there after.( I just waited until 10 hour and changed the engine oil and hydro filter at the same time.)

5. I'm sure the bagger will fit your model as the same deck is still used and the replacment tractor for the 2166 is basicly the same but with a v-twin motor.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Congrats on your new Cub I'm sure you'll love it and it will give you years of reliable service mine had close to 400 hours and never a hint of a problem Great mower!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command #9  
Cubmaster covered everything!

/ CC 2166 W/16 (maybe 19) kohler command #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( well, I found out that the engine in this is a 16hp kohler command single cyl, spring assist deck/attachment lift, doesn't mow in reverse. But, the dealer that's selling it said that it's a commercial grade engine, is this correct?
Also, I called another dealer just to see if they had any older new leftovers, and while talking with him, he said that the single cyl motor would wear out before one of the new twin cyl engines. Is this a valid statement as well? Again, I'll admit I redefine the word ****, but I want to get a tractor in my budget that will last. I hate having to buy stuff twice. This other dealer also told me that $2400 was what these tractors went for in '02, so would I be out of line asking for an even better deal, even with the discount he's giving me on the thrower?

Is that 16hp motor going to have any problems blowing snow or will it cause it to wear out sooner than expected?

I'm going to run down to that dealership tomorrow and take it for a test drive to how she fits. But before I lay down the green, I want to feel good about the build quality of this machine. )</font>
I had a single cylinder 14hp Kohler on a 1450 (1978). It had 1100 hours when I traded it in. It used very little oil and the only problem I ever had was replacement of the voltage regulator. I had to replace the oil pan but that was due to losing the engine mounting bolts and not knowing it which caused the mounting flanges on the aluminum pan to wear at an angle. The dealer told me that 1100 hours was about the limit for that engine but I don't know that to be true.

Bob B.