2166 messin up again $&%$#*%

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #1  

Mojoman

Bronze Member
now this is getting ridiculous.....got home today from a weekend at the lake, needed to mow the lawn, not too warm today maybe 72-75 deg., mowed for about an hour, and my tractor dies, same as last time. Let it sit for awhile and let it cool down, fired right up, mowed for about 1/2 hr, and it died again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
So, I let it sit for an 1-1/2 hrs or so, it fires right up again, I mow the remaining front part of my yard no problem. Of course, the temp had cooled down quite a bit by this time, so I'm sure it didn't build up much heat.

It's gotta be heat related, and last time it did this, the dealer said it was a sticking inlet valve on my carb. Now, what are the chances that it's the same thing again? Should I be asking for a new carb to ensure this isn't going to happen during the middle of the summer? It really wasn't that warm today, and I wasn't bogging the engine, it just runs for so long, I would imagine gets to a certain temp and dies out. GRRRRRR...I love this mower, but I'm beginning to lose the love..... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #2  
Make him fix it this time. It sounds more like vapor lock.

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #3  
My kids have a 2135 with Kohler 1 cyl. engine. The shop put a new coil in it last year for the exact same symptoms. It hasn't missed a beat since.

Also, there was no trial and error. They seemed to know what was wrong right away. They replaced the coil without experiencing the problem for themselves only my description.

Mike.

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*%
called another dealer this morning, and before I told him it was a new tractor, his first thought was that it was the magneto. I was going to suggest that to the shop I took it to this morning, but I figure I'll let them handle it.

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #5  
I've got to go with the coil on this one as well. I highly doubt it's a carb issue, unless the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb bowl is loosing power when the unit gets hot. Vapor lock is also a possibility, but rare with a rubber & plastic fuel system. I have had coils loose thier 'spark' when they get hot, expand and break the circuit somewhere inside of the coil. Have them replace the coil.
G/luck
Joel

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #6  
Had this problem on my 2135 last year, symptoms exactly as you described.

Turned out to be the mechanical fuel pump. When hot, the pump housing expanded, pulling the two halves of the pump apart at the gasket area. Air then was pulled into the fuel system, and viola!, the engine would die.

$22 and 15 minutes later, anew fuel pump solved the problem.

Good luck,
Anthony

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Had this problem on my 2135 last year, symptoms exactly as you described.

Turned out to be the mechanical fuel pump.... )</font>

This is another very good possibility! Kohlers do have a finnicky fuel delivery system. The fuel pump uses a pulse vacuum/pressure from the crankcase to move a diaphragm which pumps the fuel, any leaks in that system will cause fuel starvation. Even using an off brand or aftermarket fuel filter on a kohler can cause problems.
G/luck!
Joel

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #8  
Great point on the fuel delivery problem, didn't even think of that one. I would start with whatever is cheapest to repair, if not a warranty issue.

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*%
well luckily enough it is still under warranty, I just hope that those guys read this forum, to get a handle on it, and don't just look at the needle valves as the culprit. I'm sure most repair techs don't want joe blow lawnmower man (uh, I guess that would be me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) giving them suggestions as to what could be wrong...... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 2166 messin up again $&%$#*% #10  
I just bought a 2166 used and it did just what you described. I put a new (updated and larger) fuel filter in. The dealer said the small fuel filter that I had was replaced by the new larger one. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I have a parts manual and it doesn't have a coil, but it does have an ignition module that looks like a coil in the picture. That must be what they are talking about. Part number KH-12-584-14-S. Let us know what happens.