Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554???

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #1  

stopgo

This is my first post, been reading for a while and learning a whole lot.

I am at a crossroads betweent the 2042 ($2699), 2544 ($3299) and the 1554 ($2999). I know the features for each and know that the 1554 is belt drive and the other two are shaft. The biggest difference engine-wise is that the 1554 is 27hp while the other are 18 and 20hp.

I have just over 2 acres, most of which is grass and very little of it is flat. The pitch of the hills isn't terrible but 99% of all mowing is on some hill or another. I also have a drainage swale that runs 200 feet along the frontage of the property. Other chores for whatever I get include hauling firewood, various soils and mulch, stone (either landscape projects or cleanup of natural stuff), and possibly adding a johnny bucket to deal with all the mulch I will move annually. Aerating and thatching are some other tasks as well.

Because of the hills I think the shaft drive would be the better choice so that narrows the decision to the 2042 or the 2544. I also think that the 2544 will deal with a front bucket better as well.

What I'm looking for from anyone willing to respond is some assurance that these are the right tractors, and ultimately which one of these, for the job(s).

I plan on making this purchase by the end of this October, but had read that the 06 models, specifically in the 2000 series were worth waiting for, can anyone elaborate on that and disclose when the 06 models will be announced?

Thanks much

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #2  
Hi, stopgo. I'm kinda new here, too, but I can give you some info about an SLT1554 as I currently own one.

If you're gonna mow lawn, this tractor is great. There's MORE than enough power here. Some say too much and that it might cause damage to the frame, etc. It's also a 'price point' tractor. They're competing with JD, Craftsman, etc. and they probably wanted a selling edge so they put a huge engine in it. This is the same engine offered in their 4wd compact tractors.

I mow about 2 acres currently and also have a couple of hills beside my house and the ditch. The hills really make the hydro/belt whine but the engine doesn't even know there's a load on it. In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned pulling a lawn roller without much success. Yea, this is probably beyond what it was designed to do so you might consider what an aerator or dethatcher might do. This might be even more of an issue if you decide to get the bagging attachment for mowing. As for a johnny bucket... I doubt the 1554 driveline could handle this.

I've decided to plant a garden and finish smoothing and planting my yard, so I'm now in the market for something bigger. When I bought the 1554, I had no intention of working it hard but things change. So, if all you are going to do is mow the lawn, this would be a good machine. Otherwise I would opt for the 2554...

Hope this helps.

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #3  
My vote would be for either 2000 series, with your amount of hilly land the drive shaft will be great. Again, the 2000 series are being redesigned in 2006, but if you can't wait that long then the time to buy is now...might be a discount off the 2005 models. Where are you located?

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554???
Thanks for the replies. I'm in central NC. RDU area, there's a dealer in Knightdale. One of the stimulus for buying by 10/31/05 is the finance promotion from Cub that ends this month. Otherwise my lawn is just getting going (new construction, planted from seed), so I probably have some more time into November.

I'd like to go with the 2544, but if I do and the 2000 series for 06 ends up being better I'd kick myself!!

When does cub announce the 06 lineup?

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #5  
stopgo- The financing deal is nice. (I gotta start paying on my 2544 sometime soon /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), but you can do the same thing with any one of the zillion interest free credit card offers you get in the mail every day. The best time (In my area atleast) to buy is Feb-Apr. Dealers discount the heck out of the leftovers before the new model year comes in. We wont get any real details on the 2006's until they show up at the dealerships, probably sometime around Feb or March 2006 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
G/luck
Joel

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #6  
I currently own a 1554 also rased around cub cadets this is an MTD lown mower not a cub cadet trcter dont let it foll ya many many problems!!!!!

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I currently own a 1554 also rased around cub cadets this is an MTD lown mower not a cub cadet trcter dont let it foll ya many many problems!!!!! )</font>

Too bad you didn't come here first! The 1554 is a fine machine, but nothing like the CC's of years ago. IMO- if you want a belt drive LT/GT that lasts and can pull, you have to go with the more $$$$ units (JD, Simplicity, Toro, etc..)
G/luck
Joel

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #8  
I looked closely at the 1554 and the 1050 and when all was said and done I went with the 1050. Virtually the same tractor with the 1554 having a bigger hood.

Save some money if you go that way.

/ Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554??? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....I went with the 1050. Virtually the same tractor with the 1554 having a bigger hood.

Save some money if you go that way. )</font>

Excellent point. Get the 1050 and save a grand, the only thing you'll miss is 4" of deck /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

G/luck
Joel