LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades

/ LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades #1  

rodgersjc

I have an acre of land and I'm looking at the 1042 vs. 1045. The motors are very similar (one hp difference). The decks however, 42" vs. 46", one having 2 blades and the other having 3. My question is I know the 46" cut will get me finished faster, making the extra $100 price worth it, but are there any considerations in going from 2 blades to 3? My experience is more moving parts = more trouble later. I'm looking to make a purchase in the next week so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've done alot of research on mowers and it seems like CC makes a great product. Thanks in advance.

/ LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades #2  
I have heard that 2 large blades give a better cut than 3 smaller blades. I had been mowing with a Huskee 15HP 42" deck, but it was well used, so the linkage for the deck had issues and wasn't giving the best cut any more. But when I got my new LT1046 I didn't mind at all that it was 3 blades and a 46" deck. I learned how to mow on a CC 682 and it had a 3 blade deck, never saw anything wrong with it and it's still mowing my dad's yard today! My requirements for the new mower was that it had to have a Kohler twin cylinder and that I wanted a bigger deck.

I believe the 1042 has two identical size blades. The 1045 and 1046 I think have two large blades and the one in the middle is slightly smaller, but I don't know for sure since I haven't measured the blades on mine yet.

Buy from a CC dealer if you can as opposed to one of the big box stores. The dealers support after the purchase is much better than the big box stores.

Now if the grass will get going here in Alabama so I can get my new mower out and have some fun!

/ LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades #3  
I always had good luck with cut quality and performance with the MTD 2 blade 42", and sears makes a great 2 blade 42". I do not care for the cut quality on the CC 2042 42". Neighbors have them + I've seen a few complaints. Thing is, I dunno if the 2000 series 42" is the same as the 1000 series 42". They tend to be a shallow deck that clogs & clumps easily.

G/luck
Joel

/ LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades
Thanks rebelram, one more question: What are the big advantages with a twin-C vs. a single-C engine. Aren't twins louder?

/ LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades #5  
In my opinion I don't think the twins are any louder than a single cylinder. I do prefer the sound though, it has a much more pleasing sound to me. I think that a twin cylinder runs much smoother than a single cylinder. I grew up around all kinds of tractors, my grandfather restored several really old John Deeres from the 1930's and 40's. Most of those tractors had 2 cylinder horizontal mounted engines with large flywheels. There is nothing else on this planet that sounds like that. It's almost like music to your ears.

If you go for the twin cylinder, check around and see if any dealers have the 2005 models with the Command series engine. It is supposedly a better engine than the 2006 Courage series they replaced it with. I have seen much discussion on these forums about the differences between the Command and Courage series. I have a 2005 with the Command engine. Luckily my dealer still had 2 of them. I think he sold the 2nd one right after I got mine in January.

/ LT1042 or LT1045, 2 blades vs. 3 blades #6  
I bought the 2005 1046 three weeks ago from my second closest dealer (15 miles away) he had three in his warehouse still in the crates wrapped in plastic I chose the 2005 because of the command engine,drain plug in the tranny,and it had ball bearings in the front wheels it look like the '06 had bushings in them. I think you get more for your money with the '05 you might be able to get one cheaper now that the '06 are out unless you live in Arkansas,where they still want full price for ($1799) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also bought the bumper kit it looks real nice