GT2542 & 341 Snowblower

/ GT2542 & 341 Snowblower #1  

Double 00 Soul

Silver Member
Tractor
B3030
Has anyone experienced problems mounting the 341 snowblower on the GT2542? Due to back problems, I decided to take the dealer up on his offer to mount the snowblower, they said they like to do it the first time to make sure everything is right. Now I think I know why. The tractor went to the dealer yesterday, I called today and asked when it would be ready. I was told it would be a week or more due to the blower not being made correctly???? They told me when the blower is lifted off the ground, the lift arm is almost touching the ground. They also had to bend the bracket on one of their shop fixtures. Then they said the reason it will be a week or more is that luckily the Cub rep. was there and will expedite the "new parts" that have to be ordered. They didn't go into detail on what new parts were needed.

Is this normal when mounting that blower on this tractor. Although the dealer appears to be doing everything he can, this does not give me a warm fuzzy about Cub's quality control. I can only imagine the choice words I would have had if I'd attempted to mount the blower as originally planned.

/ GT2542 & 341 Snowblower #2  
I wouldn't have a warm feeling either. Spend that kinda change on an attachment designed for that tractor and it doesn't fit. Nice.

Hopefully the parts they are bending are parts that won't be weakened from being bent. Good luck.

/ GT2542 & 341 Snowblower #3  
I have the same tractor and snowblower.

The dealer also mounted mine last snow season (I purchased it in Jan/06)

I just mounted the snowblower on the tractor last weekend.

I also have a bad back.

I took my time and followed the manual, it wasn't too bad.

I did have one problem with the snowblower last season...the exhaust melted the plastic covering on the chute control cables, when the cables cooled off the plastic would harden and the cables would be stuck...anyway, the dealer fixed it right away.

I am VERY pleased with the GT2542...it is a work horse and saved my back all year ;)

Attachments

• cab4.JPG
    cab4.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 805
  • gt2542.JPG
    gt2542.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,103
   / GT2542 & 341 Snowblower
Thank you folks for the feedback and the pics. That was a good point about watching whether any bending etc. will weaken anything, will have to keep alert for possible repercussions from that.

Rocko, how has your 2542 been as a snowfighter? This will be my first winter with this machine and I've been wondering if I made a mistake not getting something with 4-wheel drive or at least a locking rear end. We sometimes get more than our fair share of snow in Minnesota so that is a concern. Plus, I have a small hill at the end of my driveway so that may prove interesting.

So far I love the tractor, plenty of power and very manueverable. It will cut the grass no matter how long I let it grow.

Ooops, forgot the issue Rocko mentioned with the cables. That was another thing the dealer said they had to modify, sounded like they were installing a kit to reroute the exhaust. Maybe that was some of the new parts they mentioned they had to wait for.

/ GT2542 & 341 Snowblower #6  
My 2542 is like a junkyard dog when it comes to snow ;)

The tractor is awsome in it's snow removal duties, I have been very pleased with it and have no regrets.

I do use chains and have wheel weights (75lbs ea.) I also use a couple of suitcase weights too (42lbs ea.)

I've been trying to remember a couple of other problems I had......

1. One of the rear axle seals leaked, check the inside of your rear rims for the telltale signs. (I was having to add fluid, so I started looking for a leak.)

2. One of the mounting tabs for the seat cracked.

3. One of the bolts for the Steering housing assembly broke. When you grease the tractor inspect the bolts. The bolt was still there, I was checking to see if they were loose, and it lifted right out.

4. The cruise control would not engage.

When I was ready to have everything fixed the dealer took it right in and got it back to me the same day.

Rocko said:
My 2542 is like a junkyard dog when it comes to snow ;)

The tractor is awsome in it's snow removal duties, I have been very pleased with it and have no regrets.

I do use chains and have wheel weights (75lbs ea.) I also use a couple of suitcase weights too (42lbs ea.)

I've been trying to remember a couple of other problems I had......

1. One of the rear axle seals leaked, check the inside of your rear rims for the telltale signs. (I was having to add fluid, so I started looking for a leak.)

2. One of the mounting tabs for the seat cracked.

3. One of the bolts for the Steering housing assembly broke. When you grease the tractor inspect the bolts. The bolt was still there, I was checking to see if they were loose, and it lifted right out.

4. The cruise control would not engage.

When I was ready to have everything fixed the dealer took it right in and got it back to me the same day.

Many thanks RockO for the heads up on things to look out for. It's good to hear you're happy with the snowblowing part! I'll have to play it by ear on the weights, I only have two suitcase weights now, thought my 225 lbs. might be enough to keep from having to buy the wheel weights or more suitcase weights. Have a trans. question, I changed the trans. filter and oil at 10 hours. The trans. stick had always been clean when I checked it but at 35 hours I began to notice a light grey residue on the rag in addition to the oil. Have you experienced that? I'm wondering if my trans. is getting some metal shavings already after only 25 hours on the new oil and filter.

/ GT2542 & 341 Snowblower #8  
I changed the trans filter at 10 hours.

I notice the light gray residue on the rag from the trans dipstick also.
I have about 65 hours.

Rocko said:
I changed the trans filter at 10 hours.

I notice the light gray residue on the rag from the trans dipstick also.
I have about 65 hours.

Thanks Rocko, guess I'll wait until the next scheduled oil & filter change for the trans. after all, that's what warranties are for anyway.