Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542)

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542) #1  

RJ-NC

Tractor
CC 2542 (2006)
I noticed something really strange with the transmission fluid level in my GT2542 today. I normally check the transmission fluid level before each use (while the machine is cold). Today, I forgot to check the level until after driving it around for a few minutes. I was shocked to find that with the machine warm the fluid level was barely at the add mark and looked to have some air bubbles in it. It read full the last time I checked it - about a week ago.

I drove the machine back to storage and started looking for leaks. I couldn’t find any evidence that the machine had leaked on the floor, nor could I see any leakage around the transmission or the filter. After the machine began to cool down I noticed that the fluid level was above the add line but was well below full. I added small amounts of transmission fluid until the dipstick read full. I drove the tractor around for several minutes to get the machine warmed up and checked the transmission fluid level. Again, I found that the level had dropped – not as low as before but still well below full. While the machine was warm, I added fluid until the dipstick showed full. I drove the machine a few more minutes and checked the fluid level again. This time the level remained at the full mark. With the level fixed I decided to mow a bit. After finishing the mow, I decided to check the fluid level again (yep – now I’m paranoid ;) ). Well now the fluid level is well above the full mark and I’m really confused.

Have any of you noted anything like this? Any idea what might cause this type of behavior? I guess I’ll need to drain some of the fluid to get back to the full level since the manual says that running above the full line is bad news. Anyway – I’d appreciate any thoughts on this really strange and unexpected behavior.

Thanks,
RJ
Cub Cadet GT2542 (2006)

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542) #2  
Well you pretty much explained it I bet,probably supposed to check when cold,,but don't know,what does your owners manual say,,,thingy

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542) #3  
I cant imagine that temperature could have that much effect on level. Perhaps it is time after stopping. Like perhaps fluid pumped elsewhere is returning to the sump as it sits a while. Check level warm to hot - immediately after stopping.
larry

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542) #4  
When at a rest with the engine off just about all of the hydro fluid sits inside the transmission casing. When the engine is running, it activates a hydraulic charge pump that is above the transmission. This pump sucks in a certain amount of the fluid and pressurizes it, allowing the transmission to operate. The fluid is constantly circulating when the engine is running, and it also passes through a filter. The right time to check it is after the engine has been shut down and the tractor has sat for 20-30 minutes or so, this allows that fluid in the pump housing to drain back in to the transmission case. What you witnessed was totally normal, now you might have it overfilled a little and will have to drain some of the fluid.

-Fordlords-

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542)
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'm glad this is 'normal' - I never would have guessed that the level would have that big of a swing from cold to warm. I don't think I did any harm to the tractor as I couldn't have added more than 4-5 ounces of fluid and didn't really run it that long with the extra fluid. I'll drain out the extra fluid before the next use.

Thanks again!
RJ

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542)
thingy said:
Well you pretty much explained it I bet,probably supposed to check when cold,,but don't know,what does your owners manual say,,,thingy

Thanks Thingy. I should have mentioned that I referred to the manual when I first noticed the 'problem'. Unfortunately it's a little vague about fluid levels being different with the machine warm and cold. It does note that the transmission oil should be checked before each use (cold). It also notes that the final step in changing the transmission oil/filter is to 'Start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes. Shut the engine off, then check for leaks and recheck the oil level in the transmission case." (warm). I followed that procedure when I changed the filter last season but didn't notice the levels being radically different after the machine ran for a few minutes.

RJ

/ Weird transmission fluid observation (GT2542) #7  
Well good RJ,looks like you ain't got no problems after all than,,,just check her before starting or after its sat an hour or so,,,thingy