LT1042 Will Not Start

/ LT1042 Will Not Start #1  

paperpusher

Hi,

I Have the Cub LT 1042, On Friday I came home cut the grass, put the cub in the garage. Got up Saturday morning got on the cub to areate the lawn,it would not. It turns over, its getting fuel, because the plug is wet. I also sprayed starting fluid into the carb, removed the spark plug ,left it connected to the plug wire and cranked it,the spark is blue. Started checking around for some answers. Jumped the seat safety swith, disconected the brake safety switch, but it turns over, and the brake light comes on like it supposed to. Removed the cooling crate above the flywheel to check for the sheard woodruf key, it was fine. Stood it up on it's rear tires, found a broken wire by the left rear tire, which looks like the switch that kicks off the PTO when you try to go in reverse. I was happy as you know what when I found that broken wire. Well I soldered the wire back, set the Cub back down on all fours, and IT Still Will Not Start. Help Please. Does anyone know what else could cause it not to start. Oh, if the plug is getting fire, that does mean that the magneto is fine right?

Help

Thanks

/ LT1042 Will Not Start #2  
You've got fuel, the plug is wet. You've got spark, so none of the safety switches is causing the problem. The wet plug makes me think you are flooding and can't fire, might be a carb float that isn't seating. That would be my guess.

/ LT1042 Will Not Start
I'll check that out. The wet plug I assumed just meant that it was getting fuel, but I may have flooded it before I found the broken reverse wire. Dave, do you think that the broken reverse wire would keep it from starting in the first place?

/ LT1042 Will Not Start #4  
The reverse wire is usually interlocked with the PTO so you can't engage the deck, not sure if that is the case on your model. The fact that you have good spark means none of the safety switches are stopping you from firing.

After it has sat for a while try removing the air filter, putting throttle at 3/4, no choke, and try cranking. If it doesn't fire right away add choke gradually as you crank.

You said the spark was blue, was it a good fat spark? A weak coil or bad points are other areas that could keep you from starting even though you see some spark.

/ LT1042 Will Not Start
Well today I took the float bowl off of the carb, it did have what seem to be water in the bottom, because it was seperated from the gas. The float was not sticking so I don't think it was getting to much gas. So, I'm not sure about the bad gas though, because I sprayed quick start directly into the carb. Unless it was flooded already.

/ LT1042 Will Not Start
Dave,

You mentioned points, are they under the flywheel? I may try replacing the magneto, the blue spark is not that fat, as you say.

/ LT1042 Will Not Start #8  
There are no points. But this issue has been coming up a lot. If you have a Kohler Courage engine, it is likely the flywheel key has sheared. This will still allow for a spark, but it is way out of time. Some Courage engines got out of the factory with the flywheel improperly torqued. The flywheel needs to be pulled and the key replaced.

-Fordlords-

Last edited:
   / LT1042 Will Not Start #9  
I agree; sheared flywheel key; it will look ok, but pull it and replace it.

/ LT1042 Will Not Start
The flywheel is pressed on, and I checked it, the key was in place and fine.