3 point attachments for LT1046

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046 #1  

James Rogers

I recently bought a 2005 LT1046 with the 23 HP twin command engine. One of the reasons I bought it is to use with a 3 point trailer with various equip, none weighing over 400 lbs with weights. Now I understand that although the engine has plenty of power for what I intended, I could have other problems. Has anybody else used their LT1046 this way? Will I have a problem and if so, what do I watch for?

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046 #2  
The LT1046 is a light duty lawn tractor. I wouldn't try to pull too much behind it, say no more than 500 lbs or so. This tractor has a small sealed Hydro-Gear transaxle that doesn't stand up to a lot of abuse. I'd keep it to mowing and light pulling such as a yard cart.

-Fordlords-

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046
Mu All terran trailer(1,000 lb cap) was delivered yesterday. I loaded to where it was close to the 500 lbs mentioned. It pulled it like it was not there, up slopes and all around the 2 1/2 acres here for about 1/2 hour. I will add some more weight tomorrow and pull it around. When will I be able to tell that I am doing to much and not to add any more weight?

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046 #4  
You can listen to hear if the transaxle is whining from strain, and feel it to see if it's getting too hot. (And those units get hot easily) I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall the maximum they want you to pull with one of those tractors is 700 lbs. I say 500, due to the number of issues I have seen come up with those smaller transaxles, which is a lot of weight considering the LT1046 tractor itself I'm fairly sure doesn't even weigh 500 lbs. That is where on slopes you can also run in to a control issue where the load you are pulling might start pulling or pushing you and the tractor, then the situation could get dangerous, considering nothing you are using has anything one could call brakes. I'd just be very cautious as you are pushing the thing to it's max.

-Fordlords-

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046 #5  
James Rogers said:
I recently bought a 2005 LT1046 with the 23 HP twin command engine. One of the reasons I bought it is to use with a 3 point trailer with various equip, none weighing over 400 lbs with weights. Now I understand that although the engine has plenty of power for what I intended, I could have other problems. Has anybody else used their LT1046 this way? Will I have a problem and if so, what do I watch for?
You need at least a CC GT2554 Garden Tractor for that.

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046 #6  
Fordlords said:
You can listen to hear if the transaxle is whining from strain, and feel it to see if it's getting too hot. (And those units get hot easily) I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall the maximum they want you to pull with one of those tractors is 700 lbs. I say 500, due to the number of issues I have seen come up with those smaller transaxles, which is a lot of weight considering the LT1046 tractor itself I'm fairly sure doesn't even weigh 500 lbs.

That is where on slopes you can also run in to a control issue where the load you are pulling might start pulling or pushing you and the tractor, then the situation could get dangerous,

considering nothing you are using has anything one could call brakes. I'd just be very cautious as you are pushing the thing to it's max.

-Fordlords-
Yeah real dangerous like the time a heavy load on a trailer pushed me and the lawn tractor down the drive way almost out onto the highway.
Another foot and I would have been right out on the road.
Had I gone out int the path of oncoming traffic that would have been all she wrote.
This was on a dry concrete deiveway.I had the brakes locked tight but the heavy loaded trailer just slid the wheels like they were on ice with the tires squealing all the way.
Let me tell you this is not the way to peal the tires on a tractor!

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2001/storycty/chev6001.JPG

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046
Thanks guys. I do not have that steep of slopes to worry. I upgraded my ATV to 4WD and > 1000 lb towing. I'll use it for the heavier work.

/ 3 point attachments for LT1046 #8  
Lawn tractors are for cutting grass. Garden tractors are capable of pulling ground engaging implements.