new GT2544 arrived today

/ new GT2544 arrived today #11  
When I ordered my 2544 CC's web site said it was a 22hp, a few days before it came in they changed it to 21hp which is what the decal says on the air cleaner, but the engine code is also CH23S, mfg date 2/2006. The only problems so far,(7.5 hrs,) the PTO and parking brake lights don't work. The dealer ordered a new hour meter assembly, also the back of the seat is faided and a little rust on the slides, looks like it sat out in the weather for awhile.

/ new GT2544 arrived today #12  
jay25rs said:
The manual doesn't have a scheduled time to change the fluid. It seems as though as long as you change the filter when you should that it does a very good job at trapping all the particles and keeping the fluid looking nice and golden. I will most likely change it in the future though, I'm near obsessive with maintenance on all my things.

The assumption from Cub seems to be that the top up oil from the periodic filter changes will be adequate. It makes sense to me that as long as you keep the fluid clean it should last a long time...

/ new GT2544 arrived today
Got thru mowing yesterday and after putting the mower up, my wife gave me a small spring that she found in the drive. It was clean and shiny so she figured it came from the new mower. After 2 hours looking all over where that spring could have come from I just figured they may have dropped a spring during assembly and it finally worked it's way out due to vibrations. Today I moved the mower into the sun and looked closer. Result: the cotter pin which holds the reverse shift rod, spring, and dampner together was missing. This let the small spring come off and I'm sure over time the shift rod would have dropped down. One thing about it, I'm really getting to know this machine well. What are the odds of my wife finding that spring in a gravel drive?? (My luck doesn't seem to be holding up too well with my new tractor)

/ new GT2544 arrived today #14  
Wow! Good find Bluefin. That would have been a much tougher fix had you not found and reinstalled that spring. By chance I found the whole pedal linkage cradle loose on my 2544. Two hex nuts per frame rail hold it on. The right side was loose enough to wiggle on mine after the first year.

Joel

/ new GT2544 arrived today #15  
It really bothers me hearing your stories about things just coming apart after only a few hours of use. It really doesn't cost any more in manufacturing to make sure they are using the right fasteners and they are installed to spec. Its one thing for compnents to fail, that can be linked to cost cutting, using cheap components. That isn't the case here, its just bad QC on assembly.

I just sold our 1211, had 1200 plus hours on it. I can't remember ever having to replace or even tighten a fastener or linkage item due to it just vibrating loose.

I've worked more fixing my mower than using it. Seven years with my old rear engine Snapper and never a problem except for one battery, not even a belt. If any more things fall off or causes problems, I will return the tractor as a lemon. After spending that much money, a person shouldn't be expected to have to rebuild or even go over the mower before using. If I had no mechanical ability, I would really be in a mess. Has anyone out there had this much trouble with their 2544? I've only mowed with it once and like the way it mows, steers, and goes up and down hills, but am beginning to wonder if It's worth the trouble.

/ new GT2544 arrived today #17  
I'm getting into my third season with my 2004 3235. In 160 hours I have not had problem 1 yet and have not worked on it, other than disabling the no-mow reverse switch, oil & lubes. Of course it cost me $7k out the door with 54 inch deck and triple bagger.

Bob B.

/ new GT2544 arrived today #18  
bluefine409 said:
I've worked more fixing my mower than using it. Seven years with my old rear engine Snapper and never a problem except for one battery, not even a belt. If any more things fall off or causes problems, I will return the tractor as a lemon. After spending that much money, a person shouldn't be expected to have to rebuild or even go over the mower before using. If I had no mechanical ability, I would really be in a mess. Has anyone out there had this much trouble with their 2544? I've only mowed with it once and like the way it mows, steers, and goes up and down hills, but am beginning to wonder if It's worth the trouble.

I would certainly let Cub Cadet know of what's been happening! That is just crazy. You should not have to repair a new mower.

Michael

/ new GT2544 arrived today #19  
micman32 said:
I would certainly let Cub Cadet know of what's been happening! That is just crazy. You should not have to repair a new mower.

Michael

I agree with this. Cub should know about it. And he should make his dealer do whatever it takes to make it right. They'll get their $$ back from Cub by filing warranty claims.

Lots of people on this board with new machines that have been mostly trouble free. So I think his experience is the exception and not the rule. I have to wonder if his machine was just never checked out and properly setup by the dealer.

My '06 2554 was delivered last year and has been used since then with no problems at all other than the silly press in zerks. I expected to have some small problems, at least need to level the deck, etc. but it just wasn't the case.

I've now decided that it was probably because the dealer did everything right before I ever saw the machine...

I think I may have finally fixed all the problems with my cub. I spent one afternoon going over the entire machine and adjusted everything by the manual and checked for loose fastners and etc. The only thing that I could not get right was the hole for the antiscalp wheels (after leveling the deck, all the wheels were moved down one hole except for the left front, if moved down like the others it was too close to ground). I mowed again with it and it mows great, hope the worst is over and I think I have figured out why my mower was in this condition-I watched several new cub's come into my dealership and watched the mechanics off load them, uncrate them, put fuel in, drive them to the showroom and that was it. I asked if the mechanics had been trained on cub cadets and was told it's over the internet. Well, I know one of the mechanics and he wouldn't know how to turn on a computer. I think if I do have a real warranty issue, I will use another dealer for the repair. Small towns are great in many ways, not so good in others.