Cub Cadet 2160 Tranny problem

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Tranny problem #1  

epic6500sr

Tractor
Grasshopper 725 G2,321D and a John Deere L100
As some of you may know the Cub Cadet has a gear-hydro tranny, and it has 6 gears and then forward and reverse pedals. Now, my problem is that only gears 1,2,& 3 work; 4,5,& 6 however do not. Also, my tranny is making this horrible whine, not just a normal hydro whine, its worse than anyone I have ever heard. Any idea's about what I should do would be appriciated, and if its buy a new Tranny, then where should I go about finding one, and about how much are they. Just FYI my tractor only has 286 hours on it. Thanks

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Tranny problem #2  
I forget the book name of the transaxle you've got, but it is not a gear-hydro, it's a gear drive. You either have hydrostatic or gear. Gear being rare for a Cub. I know the common failure component on your gear transaxle is the internal clutches. They wear over time or wear prematurely if the operator 'rides' the 'go' pedal as opposed to keeping it mashed to the floor. You need to regulate ground speed by selecting a gear range on these transaxles, not by varying pressure on the foot pedal. There is a fine forum member by the name of Taiser I believe? He's got the same trans and has replaced the (internal) clutch assy himself. Not too aweful a DIY job IIRC & a $100 or so worth of parts.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Tranny problem #3  
I think it's called a autogear?????

AJ

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Tranny problem #4  
magicalj said:
I think it's called a autogear?????

AJ

That's it! Thanks AJ.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 2160 Tranny problem #5  
For a while Surplus Center had replacement transaxles listed for a very good price.

You might check their website to see if they still have them.