Changing Blades - Need Help

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #1  

jpmorgan12

Changing the blades on my LT1046. Have all the recommended tools and following the procedures outlined on this forum and in the manual. Got two blades off and replaced without any problem.

I am unable to remove the nut on the third. Tried several times with all the strength that I can muster. Could it be rust? I used my torque to put the current blades back on the last time I sharpened them a year ago, and again, followed the steps in the book.

Could this be rust or something else? What options do I have?

Thanks.

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #2  
It's times like this you can't beat an impact gun...

-Larry

jpmorgan12 said:
Changing the blades on my LT1046. Have all the recommended tools and following the procedures outlined on this forum and in the manual. Got two blades off and replaced without any problem.

I am unable to remove the nut on the third. Tried several times with all the strength that I can muster. Could it be rust? I used my torque to put the current blades back on the last time I sharpened them a year ago, and again, followed the steps in the book.

Could this be rust or something else? What options do I have?

Thanks.

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #4  
DO it right! just take the deck off, using two 1 1/8 rachets, always wear heavy leather gloves that go past the wrist about 3'' take off all 3 blades, get a bottle of anti- seize put a nice coating on all the bolt shafts and nuts. one coating should last 5 to 7 blade take offs or changes.Easy is what easy does!

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #5  
I work on lots of garden/lawn tractors. I just honk the front end up with an engine hoist and hit the spindle nuts with an impact wrench.

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #6  
I'm with Larry,

Rent or borrow an impact wrench and use the never seize or grease that Green Quality suggested.

You could try a good shot of PB Blaster. let it soak for an hour and muscle it again also.

Good Luck,
Curt

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #7  
A good impact wrench and never sieze and you can't go wrong!

Michael

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #8  
Morn jp.
If all fails :( heavy duty gloves/remove deck??/socket on breaker bar w/3'cheater bar/wooden block against blade and deck frim...do becareful.

/ Changing Blades - Need Help #9  
I have found that if the nuts are really tight that the spindle will move before the nut will. Put a wrench on the spindle (top side of deck) to hold it firm while you work on the nut - this has always done the trick for me.