Strange 1864 Steering Issue

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue #1  

TractorLarry

Gold Member
Ok, first let me say that the steering actually works fine. It has a little play in it, but I've come to think that is actually normal.

When I got the tractor, I noticed the steering wheel was about 1/4 off center. I'm told it was always like that, from the day it was new.

This weekend my back healed up enough so I did it's normal summer maintenance (changed oil/filter, greased, cleaned air filter, etc...)

I decided to align up the steering wheel while I was at it.

I removed the cap, then the nut and washer. The wheel came right off.

I set the wheel back on loosly, went out to the road, and went in a straight line.

I pulled the wheel off, centered it, and put it back on.

Turned the tractor around (a 180), and I'll be darned if all of a sudden the wheel wasn't off by almost the same exact amount again!

I repeated this about 10 times. No matter how straight I got it, after doing a 180 and heading in the reverse direction, the darned thing was off by about 45 degree's again!

Needless to say, this was confusing.

I opened the manuals, looked at how it was designed, and came to a conclusion that may or may not be correct...

I'm not sure if other tractors are like this, but the 1864 with power steering appears to have NO actual mechanical connection between the steering wheel, and the front wheels.

It is purely a "Drive By Fluid" design.

The wheel simply controls valves in the steering pump, which control the hydraulic arm that goes to the front wheels.

I always wondered why the steering was utterly useless when the engine wasn't running.

It would seem to me that since there is no actual mechanical connection between the steering wheel/shaft and the front end that there probably is NO true center to this system, and that's why the wheel never quite centers in the same place every time.

Am I correct in thinking this, or is something else going on?

-Larry

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue #2  
Most systems built today are that way.

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue
I think they would be more appropriately called "Hydraulic Steering" than "Power Steering", which infers power assisted steering.

I don't really care for it. But I guess it's better than manual :)

-Larry

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue #4  
TractorLarry said:
I think they would be more appropriately called "Hydraulic Steering" than "Power Steering", which infers power assisted steering.

I don't really care for it. But I guess it's better than manual :)

-Larry

Cub Cadet advertises it as "power steering" on the 3000 series. Compared to my old 1450 it really is power steering since all you do is move a hydraulic valve with the steering wheel and the hydrostatic pump does the actual work of turning the wheels. The steering continues to work with the engine off but I saw one on the dealer's floor that must not have been run for a long time and the steering wheel free-wheeled.

Bob B.

does your wheel change it's centering position from time to time?

-Larry

Bob_Bainbridge said:
Cub Cadet advertises it as "power steering" on the 3000 series. Compared to my old 1450 it really is power steering since all you do is move a hydraulic valve with the steering wheel and the hydrostatic pump does the actual work of turning the wheels. The steering continues to work with the engine off but I saw one on the dealer's floor that must not have been run for a long time and the steering wheel free-wheeled.

Bob B.

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue #6  
TractorLarry said:

-Larry
I believe that it does but I've never really verified it. I'll have to note the starting and ending wheel position when I mow in the next couple days.

Bob B.

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue #7  
It's not as noticable on the 1872 series. The steering wheel has three evenly spaced spokes.

But I can turn the center cap to straighten it out and after one 180 degree turn it's off center again.

But I have a greater appreciation of the assist regardless of the centering because of some of the manual steers I've owned. Some of those manual steering rigs were mighty hard to turn at slow speeds!

Curt

Ok, that pretty much settles it. It's normal.

I feel better now :)

-Larry

OhioGuy said:
It's not as noticable on the 1872 series. The steering wheel has three evenly spaced spokes.

But I can turn the center cap to straighten it out and after one 180 degree turn it's off center again.

But I have a greater appreciation of the assist regardless of the centering because of some of the manual steers I've owned. Some of those manual steering rigs were mighty hard to turn at slow speeds!

Curt

/ Strange 1864 Steering Issue #9  
TractorLarry said:

-Larry
Larry, I mowed today and when I started the 3-spoke wheel was perfectly centered like a Y. After a few laps around the yard the Y was now upside down. It kept changing until it was right side up again so I guess there is no real center position.

Bob B.

Ok. Looks like I can cross this one off the list. Thanks!

-Larry

Bob_Bainbridge said:
Larry, I mowed today and when I started the 3-spoke wheel was perfectly centered like a Y. After a few laps around the yard the Y was now upside down. It kept changing until it was right side up again so I guess there is no real center position.

Bob B.