After market PTO for Cub Cadet?

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #1  

droy

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 55, ZD1211
Looks like the electric pto on my 1529 Cub Cadet gave up (198 hours on machine). After about thirty minutes of cutting, it will turn off, and usually start working again after a "cool-down".
Called dealer yesterday, they can order one for $303.51 + shipping and tax. EGADS!!!!!!!!

Sitting down fuming about the cost, I had a thought- may still be under warranty. Pull paperwork, start reading, three year warranty on PTO (BIG smiley face). Continue reading ; bought April 14, 2004, lets see, today is June 30, 2007, translates to two months, 17 days past warranty deadline, (BIG "no smiley" face).

Past problems with this machine has convinced me that this dealer only likes to sell lawnmowers, and avoids warranty issues like a plague, so asking for any help would be wasting breath IMHO.

Was wondering if anyone might know if / where one might purchase an aftermarket PTO or a "rebuild kit", if such a thing.

Thanks in advance.

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #2  
Droy! I bought a 2180 in feb 2004 my pto went bad last month. same as you! I though that the warranty deadline was over,I called cub cadet spoke to rep. told him my problem, got his name and ext no##, they picked up 75% of pto mine was $354 I paid out of pocket $100 Now the dealer worked with me too on this.,But I made the call to get things rolling Give them a call Cub Cadet! 188-848-6038 Ext 2727 Scott.or Ext 5354 Jim

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet?
Green Quality, you have just made my day!
After hours now, but sure will give them a call in the am. Glad to hear that Cud will go the extra step to help a fellow.
Once again, many thanks!!!!!!!!

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #4  
droy said:
Green Quality, you have just made my day!
After hours now, but sure will give them a call in the am. Glad to hear that Cud will go the extra step to help a fellow.
Once again, many thanks!!!!!!!!
Just what do you think that JD uses for PTO clutches on decks? Sorry for your rude awakening!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #5  
Had to replace my PTO on my 2518 in May.:eek: Talk about sticker shock!

Michael

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #6  
Art, I don't think he was talking about a deere. He was replying to the poster GreenQuality who had a similar problem with his cub.

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #7  
Guess I should have read more first!!! While, back to my shoe leather!

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet?
Robert_in_NY said:
Art, I don't think he was talking about a deere. He was replying to the poster GreenQuality who had a similar problem with his cub.

Correct, Robert;
Art's earlier post had me scratching my head, till I read further.

Now, after tinkering with it between rain showers, (will it ever quit?), kinda wondering it it could be the safety switch. After moving some wires, checking wire plugs, I was able to run the mower deck the longest length of time before it cut off.

Does anyone know how to bypass, or check the PTO safety switch, JUST to see if it is the culprit?

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #9  
I would think you could check the operation of the PTO without starting the engine.

Those switches they put on them to kill the mower if you back up are IMHO the major cause of PTO failure. Most people will not throttle down to re-engage the mower. The PTO gets about 10X the workout it normally would if this feature is not disabled. Disabling that circuit was about the first thing I did to mine and it now has over 400 hours on the original PTO.

You can either sit on the tractor with out the engine running and engage the PTO and see if it locks or you can run a jumper from the battery.

/ After market PTO for Cub Cadet? #10  
Usually if the clutch doesn't respond and turn back on, after it has been running and has gotten warm, it only needs adjustment. The clutch is like a caliper and is held together by 3 spring loaded bolts. You can set the gap, I believe it is .017". When the clutch warms up, it expands and doesn't grip any longer. I have lots of cadets and only one needed replacement after I ran it with a leaky exhaust until the heat destroyed it. One of my Cadets has 1790 hours on it without an adjustment or replacement. Your local dealership should know this and can make the adjustments for a small fee.