PTO kills engine

/ PTO kills engine #1  

OhioGuy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, Case 245, Cub SZ60, Cub 2284
I did some work on my mothers 1641 last weekend and got her running again. My best guess is the float stuck or she left the key on (assuming this tractor has a solenid shutoff) and gas got in the oil sump. I changed the oil cleaned the plugs, took the carb apart and cleaned it and it started right up.

but

When I engage the PTO, it kills the engine. If I lock the deck idler in place to take the tension off the deck belt the PTO engages normally, or I can engage it at higher than normal RPM's and the tractor continues to run.

I've never done the PTO adjustment with the feeler gauges, does this seem like a likely suspect? I'm thinking the clutch is supposed to slip just a bit on engagement?

Thanks, Have a great July 4th!
Curt

/ PTO kills engine #2  
I don't think a PTO clutch is supposed to slip on engagement. My owner manual says to have the engine at 1/2 speed or better. If I try it at lower speeds it will kill the engine or throw the belt. Think about it... getting all the blades moving from a dead stop to running speed instantly is quite a shock on a low torque engine. I much prefer a tensioned idler pulley to engage the blades. Obviously the electric clutch is veiwed as a marketing tool.

/ PTO kills engine
Hmmm, I better read the manual for that deck, maybe something is just too tight or sticking, a bearing starting to go etc.

I was planning on pulling the deck for service anyway, to sharpen blades and replace a grease fitting thats restricted.

Maybe that's all I need to do.

Thanks,
Curt

/ PTO kills engine #4  
You may only be running on one cylinder. This can happen and you won't notice it until you put a big load on it.

-Larry

OhioGuy said:
I did some work on my mothers 1641 last weekend and got her running again. My best guess is the float stuck or she left the key on (assuming this tractor has a solenid shutoff) and gas got in the oil sump. I changed the oil cleaned the plugs, took the carb apart and cleaned it and it started right up.

but

When I engage the PTO, it kills the engine. If I lock the deck idler in place to take the tension off the deck belt the PTO engages normally, or I can engage it at higher than normal RPM's and the tractor continues to run.

I've never done the PTO adjustment with the feeler gauges, does this seem like a likely suspect? I'm thinking the clutch is supposed to slip just a bit on engagement?

Thanks, Have a great July 4th!
Curt

/ PTO kills engine #5  
geneP said:
I don't think a PTO clutch is supposed to slip on engagement. My owner manual says to have the engine at 1/2 speed or better. If I try it at lower speeds it will kill the engine or throw the belt. Think about it... getting all the blades moving from a dead stop to running speed instantly is quite a shock on a low torque engine. I much prefer a tensioned idler pulley to engage the blades. Obviously the electric clutch is veiwed as a marketing tool.

The manuel says engage PTO at 1/2 throttle and then to full speed.
I just replaced my PTO. I think a manuel option would be just as effective as an electric one. It's all about sales gimmicks

/ PTO kills engine
Thanks guys,

It might be the load kills one cylinder?
Or it might still be a carb problem?

If I engage it at higher rpms, it will mow fine, I've just always had a habit of engaging at lower throttle.

There just aren't enough hours in a day to do what you'd like to get done!

Curt

/ PTO kills engine
Hey Dave,

You may be right, the tractor was missing a lot and belching smoke before it quit. Now it's running pretty much smoke free and no miss. I didn't see a mix adjust on the carb., is that fixed on some carbs?

Curt

/ PTO kills engine #9  
May need new plug(s) bad carb before rebuild may have fouled them.

/ PTO kills engine #10  
Carb settings may be behind plugs that are to stop you from adjustments. I am not sure of your carb type. But many plugs can be removed for adjustment. If you have not done so already, replace plugs or make sure they are gapped correctly and are correct type.