Brinly-Hardy Dethatcher and Yard Sweeper

/ Brinly-Hardy Dethatcher and Yard Sweeper #1  

GRB

Tractor
2005 Cub GT 2550
Evening Gents. Went to the Depot today and picked up a Brinly tow behind dethatcher and yard sweeper. The dethatcher went together in less than an hour and seems well built and sturdy. Couldn't resist a couple of passes in the yard behind the GT2550. Thatch came flying out of the areas covered. So I took a quick beverage break and went to assemble the yard sweeper. It was a little more tedious and just as I was making some good progress, the 1st Sargent (who is supervising the project from the seat of the tractor) says " I think you are missing some parts." Well, she was right. Missing the two largest pieces of tube frame. After a few choice words, I call the Brinly customer service line. They are open 8-5 Mon thru Fri. Figures. Guess I will call HD tomorrow and see how far I get swapping for another. I do have a question for any of you with a tow behind dethatcher. Do you weight the unit with a cinder block or two? It seemed to work pretty good without weight, but I think I have seen some pics on the forum with guys using weights. Thanks.

/ Brinly-Hardy Dethatcher and Yard Sweeper #2  
GRB said:
I do have a question for any of you with a tow behind dethatcher. Do you weight the unit with a cinder block or two? It seemed to work pretty good without weight, but I think I have seen some pics on the forum with guys using weights. Thanks.

I use weights on my dethatcher. It bounces around alot without it and doesn't make good contact and lessens its effectiveness. A couple of cinderblocks or patio blocks will do the trick.

/ Brinly-Hardy Dethatcher and Yard Sweeper #3  
I use a couple of patio blocks held on with bungee cords. It's amazing what those things pull up, you'll need the sweeper.

-Fordlords-

/ Brinly-Hardy Dethatcher and Yard Sweeper
Thanks fellas. I think I have a couple of patio blocks laying around. I'll try it with them. Appreciate the replys.

/ Brinly-Hardy Dethatcher and Yard Sweeper
Quick update on the Brinly sweeper. HD didn't want to open a box to give me the two parts I needed so they exchanged the one I had more than half assembled for a new in box unit. Of course I made them open the box anyway to make sure all the parts were there. Got the new one home and got it assembled this morning. This thing is amazing. It picks up stuff you can't even see. Even got the better half riding around on the tractor pulling the sweeper. I will try to post some pics later. Looking forward to some improvement in the lawn after the dethatching and sweeping.