New member of the Cub Cadet Club.

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #1  

Rickstir

Silver Member
Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River, Missouri
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 4110
Bought my first Cub Cadet yesterday, pick up the LT1050 today. Our 10 year old John Deere LX173 blew its transmission last week. We looked at JD but research done here and elsewhere led me to select this one. The financing is a nice touch. I have my trailer at work and will leave a tad early to pick it up. This dealer is where I work, Columbia, MO. I live an hour northeast of here but the dealer in Mexico (25 miles from home) was a real jerk.

Never drove a hydrostat transmission before and the dealer gave me plenty of time on it to get a good feel. I am confident it will do the job I need.

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #2  
Welcome to the family, and good choice getting it from a dealer rather than a BBS.

Let us know how you like it, and don't forget pics!

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #3  
Congrats on the new investment Rick. :)
Becareful not to tear up the lawn as you make sharp turns...my CC20/42 has tight cornering steering.

Gas 'n' go 'n' mowe...enjoy.

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #4  
Welcome to the group Rick. Enjoy your new Cub!:D

Michael

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #5  
Rickstir said:
Bought my first Cub Cadet yesterday, pick up the LT1050 today. Our 10 year old John Deere LX173 blew its transmission last week. We looked at JD but research done here and elsewhere led me to select this one. The financing is a nice touch. I have my trailer at work and will leave a tad early to pick it up. This dealer is where I work, Columbia, MO. I live an hour northeast of here but the dealer in Mexico (25 miles from home) was a real jerk.

Never drove a hydrostat transmission before and the dealer gave me plenty of time on it to get a good feel. I am confident it will do the job I need.

I was skeptical when I bought my first hydro (A CUB 149), but they have so many advantages, in my opinion.

Welcome, and enjoy you new tractor!

Curt

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club.
The first cut was last weekend, Friday night when I picked it up. Now the grass was really long since it had been two weeks since the death of the JD LX 173.
The mulching attachment was in and I left it there. This will really be a big help when I cut normal length grass, like tonight when I get home from work:)
The hydrostatic transmission took a little while to get used to, but I grew quickly to appreciate driving the mower like a car. Just letting up on the pedal a little to slow for corners and they excellerating again. I think I had a tendancy to cut too fast so I will watch that tonight.
Love the beverage holder.
I used the water deck wash out feature and I think I got greedy and used the hose to wash off the top of the deck. Made a mess, won't do that again. Tonight I am going to use the air compressor and blow off the clippings first. I did like the deck flusher, I looked and it seemed really clean.
I cut using the deck setting on 3 and it did not scalp like the old JD did on some rough area. The suspension is far superior to the JD. Now the JD cut pretty well, but you knew you had been on a ride when you were done.
Very happy so far.

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #7  
Yes, don't use that retarded deck wash thing- just a plain idiotic feature. Water and grass, bearings, steel, belts, etc just do not mix well. (I at least hope the people who developed that thing meant well, but they obviously never owned lawn tractors)

Mow the grass when it is as dry as possible, and clean with compressed air- the best bet. Clean chunks of grass piled under the deck with a plastic scraper.

-Fordlords-

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #8  
Yup, fordlords is correct. they may have meant well, but it's gimmicky and grease and metal mixed w/water ain't kewl. I find it made more of a mess than anything.

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #9  
I've mixed feelings about the deck wash. I've used mine plenty and it's mostly useless after mowing dry grass. But I had to mow a couple of weeks back when it was all but raining here. I used the deck wash afterward and got a huge pile of wet grass out of the deck.

I too worry about the spindles but if the seals are good and they're full of grease I don't know how they'd get water in them. And how much different is that water compared to just mowing really wet grass?

It's not something I can answer with surety. I guess time will tell how long the spindles last...

/ New member of the Cub Cadet Club. #10  
YOU MAKE A VALID POINT MR. SHARP. I HAVE SOME SORT OF GRASS ON THE BACK 1/4 OF THIS 2 ACRES, IT CAN BE 95 DEGREES, AND HIGH NOON, W/NO RAIN FOR TWO WEEKS AND CAN BE THE WETTEST STUFF I'VE EVER SEEN. WEIRD. NICE LOOKING TURF, BUT ALWAYS A LOT OF WATER IN THE BLADES. WHAT COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE. AND AS YOU SAY, IF THE SEALS ARE IN PLACE AND YOU KEEP IT FULL OF GREASE. I HAVE TO AGREE. I MAY TRY IT AGAIN. I MEAN IT IS JUST A LAWNMOWER. IT'S GOTTA GET USED AND IT'S GONNA GET DIRTY. I REALLY AM ENJOYING MY CUB THOUGH AFTER THE MTD'S, MURRAYS, ETC. BUT YOU REALLY CAN'T COMPARE THE TWO. OK, SO THE HOOD IS PLASTIC. WHAT ABOUT THESE FREAKIN' 30K-40K CARS AND TRUCKS THAT ARE COVERED WITH THE STUFF? CYA