Add power steering?

/ Add power steering? #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I haven't seen this discussed before, so it might not be practical. I have a '98 model 2165 that appers to have a lot of life left in it. Maneuvering it around obstacles is getting to be a chore at my age. Can PS be added to this mower using components from a similar, more upscale cub? A CC supplied kit would be great. Thanks for any insight
Gene

/ Add power steering? #2  
The power steering used on the 3000 series Cubs uses a 2-way hydraulic cylinder and valve assembly, which is controlled by the steering wheel. There is NO steering gear on the tractor so it's quite different from the non-power steering models. I would think that such a conversion would be expensive and a major rework, if possible at all.

Bob B.

/ Add power steering? #3  
Why do you buy one of those steering wheel balls (can't think of the actual name and its just a round rotatable ball that attaches on the steering wheel by two plates and two bolts/nuts). My dad just got one and he loves it (only costs at most $15). He says that it greatly improves his steering around lots of bushes/trees...

/ Add power steering?
Why do you buy one of those steering wheel balls?

I don't think it will help my situation. A larger diameter steering wheel would help more, in my opinion. The rack part of the steering gear has two sets of holes for the steering arms to attach. The outer set of holes allows the wheels to turn sharper at the expense of slightly harder steering effort. I have mine in the outer holes to help maneuver in tight areas. There is a trade-off for every situation, I guess.

/ Add power steering? #5  
For tractors with no power steering and 4 wheel drive the Knobs on the steering wheel may have a habit of doing serious damage to any part of the hand or arm that gets in the way when it spins out of control.:D :( :D

/ Add power steering? #6  
Egon said:
For tractors with no power steering and 4 wheel drive the Knobs on the steering wheel may have a habit of doing serious damage to any part of the hand or arm that gets in the way when it spins out of control.:D :( :D
This is very true. Many times I have been going along with our MF135 and the front wheel has fallen down a hole. The steering wheel spins round to full lock instantly and there is nothing you can do to stop it. It does not have power steering but if it had a spinner knob on it I think it could quite badly damage your wrist. :eek:

/ Add power steering? #7  
I saw these at Sears just this last weekend. In the tractor parts area with the blades, filters, etc...

-Larry

bur1196 said:
Why do you buy one of those steering wheel balls (can't think of the actual name and its just a round rotatable ball that attaches on the steering wheel by two plates and two bolts/nuts). My dad just got one and he loves it (only costs at most $15). He says that it greatly improves his steering around lots of bushes/trees...

/ Add power steering? #8  
You should be able to find them at TSC also. I had one on my old 1450 and it made steering a lot easier.

Bob B.