Oil & Fuel 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #1  

LT102

Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Just changed the oil for the first time since I bought this used 3206. I bought a Kohler filter for $12.99. Is there a Fram, or some other common brand, filter that will fit this 20 HP Kohler Command engine? I just think that's a lot of money for an oil filter.

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #2  
I avoid Fram filters. Their internal construction leaves a lot to be desired.

Try these -

Wix 51056 - 2.7" long
or
Wix 51348 - 3.4" long

I'd use the longer filter if there's clearance. The Wix parts aren't cheap either but likely less than the Kohler parts.

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #3  
Where did you buy it from? My kh filters are $8.00.

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #4  
My 18 horse K magnum uses the kohler filter #52 050 02, The Fram ph7575 works great. Maybe your engine uses the same filters? Good luck

Will

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #5  
I'm using a Wal-Mart ST-3600 on my courage.
$2.47 VS: whatever the factory branded filter costs.

I believe the Ford FL400S is similar.

There are surely several other candidates.

Rickey.

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #6  
I use Fram PH3614 since I have 2 cars that also use that filter. A PH3600, which is slightly longer, will also work. Many people badmouth Fram filters but I used them for 26 years in a CC-1450, 3 years in a CC-3235 and 5 years in various cars with no problems. I use to also use AC (originally made by GM) in my cars but the discount stores seem to have dropped them for the Fram.

Bob B.

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #7  
Yep, like the other fellas say, the equivalent/cross-ref to a Motorcraft FL400, Fram PH3600, Supertec 3600, etc... will work perfectly on your Kohler Command 20. I use the Carquest premium or Napa gold equiv on mine. The larger filter housing increases your oil capacity some. I had a problem with a Fram filter many years ago that I caught right out of the box. I'm with Bob on the Fram debate. I don't think basic fram oil filters are any worse than other brands in that price range. I'd only buy a basic fram if was the cheapest thing on the shelf in that particular store. I recently bought a fram oil filter for the Ecotec 2.2L 4 banger in my car. It's a Bulgarian made filter and is identical to Champion Labs brands like Supertec, etc.. my point is, all filter p/n's are not manufactured by the same company. More confusion to add to the pot!

Joel

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #8  
If you have room to use the FL400 sized filters it's probably an even better choice. You'll get about 8 more ounces of oil capacity vs. the smallest filters for that application and in the case of the Wix filters anyway their 51516 part ( their FL400 replacement ) also has finer filtration...

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #9  
I've seen one Kohler owner state that he fit a PH8A (or equiv) on his Kohler twin. I know I have plenty of room on mine for one, but the gasket diameter is slightly larger on the PH8A, where the filter mount on the engine isn't too generous. If you could find a cross-ref to an '8A where the gasket didn't hang over the filter base, you'd be in huge filter hog heaven. The biggest of the big! All you have to do is compare a PH3600 with a PH8A. If the gaskets are very close, the 8A should work.

Joel

/ 20 hp Kohler Oil Filter / Need Fram Cross Reference #10  
Greetings, This is an older thread. But let me say that I just put a PH46 on my 18 hp magnum.

Richard