cub cadet hds 2185 over heating

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #1  

Jierdan

I have a cub cadet that is over heating and can't figure it out for the life of me. I have checked oils, connections, air filter, taken the sides off to help with air coolant. After about 15 mins of running it just dies, you can feel the heat coming off the motor. If you let it cool down for about 15 mins, it will start right up and run again for 15 mins. Anyone have any thoughts on it.. I have checked all the manuals but can't find anything on it.

Thanks,
Rusty

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #2  
It's getting so hot that it stalls? What engine is on the 2185? There is no overtemp s/d that I am aware. Almost sounds like it might be starving for fuel, leaning out and running hot. If you can feel air being drawn in through the kick panel area, it's pulling air as it should. You could try to blow some compressed air through the shrouding around the cylinder cooling fins, but that area would have to be pretty plugged to cause issues!

Joel

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #4  
Sounds like the ignition module is the culprit here.

-Fordlords-

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #5  
Guys, just curious about your take on this; How could the heat thing be an ignition issue? Misfiring would cause a rich & cool cylinder condition (possibly a HOT muffler/exhaust though). I could see a way advanced spark causing heat issues, but from his description it runs okay until it dies.

Joel

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating
Thats true.. it runs like a champ, no sputters or lose of power.. It runs for about 15 mins and then its sputters maybe 2 or 3 times then dies. It will not start for anything, even with starting fluid in the carb. Now whats really bizarre, go get a gallon of water (yes i know its bad to put warm/cold water on a hot engine..) pure it on it. It will then start right up.. Oh yes this is NOT A JOKE.. its the wierdest thing. I have also already changed the fuel filter and drained the take to ensure no bad gas or bad filter was doing it.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #7  
JTKub said:
Guys, just curious about your take on this; How could the heat thing be an ignition issue? Misfiring would cause a rich & cool cylinder condition (possibly a HOT muffler/exhaust though). I could see a way advanced spark causing heat issues, but from his description it runs okay until it dies.

Joel
Very simple - the ignition spark is generated by electronic components which frequently fail when hot and work OK after cooling off.
Ford owners suffered for years with this problem until Ford decided to move the ignition module out where it got some air.

Bob B.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #8  
It's exactly as Bob mentioned. Some component in the ignition module is going out of tolerance with the heat. Check the color of the spark after the engine dies when it won't start- it's likely a weak yellow spark if it has spark at all. If it were the carb or fuel system, the starting fluid would definitely do something.

-Fordlords-

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #9  
Ahhh.. Thanks guys. I was looking at it as the ignition causing the excessive heat, not the heat (and expansion) causing a coil or circuit to open up. Yep, I've been down that road with a few old Johnson/Evinrude outboard motors we had. As soon as they would warm, you'd loose spark. Bad coil(s).

Joel

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating
Got bad news all.. that didn't work at all.. any other ideas???