Lifting rd bale hay?

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #1  

Tx Jim

Tractor
JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC
Can a 7360SS MFWD/485 loader pickup a 1100/1200# round bale successfully? I known breakout pressure is over3000#'s. Thanks,Jim

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #2  
Of course, you have to consider both the weight and how far out in front that weight extends. It might handle a round bale OK, but I think you'd be borderline at best with a 36hp tractor.

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #3  
Tx Jim said:
Can a 7360SS MFWD/485 loader pickup a 1100/1200# round bale successfully? I known breakout pressure is over3000#'s. Thanks,Jim

Jim, depends on your loader and its cylinders

Max hydraulic system pressure for the 7360ss is 2413 psi at 2700 rom

I believe that the gpm for the 3 point hitch is around 8.3 gpm, but the loader port escapes me right now. I think something like in the 5-7 gpm range sounds familiar

Look up your loader and see what it will lift with those pressures.

My Woods 1012 loader is 1200 lbs full lift (height) capacity
2000 lbs breakout, and 3000 psi working pressure.

The woods 1012 has 2" cylinders both on the bucket and lift cylinders.

Depends on the size of bale, and moisure content. Probably will do a 5' dry bale. I think a 6' dry or wet will stretch you capability especially if you are lifting it very far off the ground. JMO

Dw

Post back and let us know what your loader specs are.

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #4  
I think you would be ok, theres only one way to find out ;)

Just keep the bale low to the ground and go steady until you find out how it behaves.

/ Lifting rd bale hay?
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to get so opinions before I invest in a bale spear. All I want to do is be able to load a few bales on a pick-up or trailer. I don't plan on loading very many. Also I'm fully aware of the need for safety in handling rd bales.Thanks, Jim

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #6  
Tx Jim, the way I move mine is put the front bucket up against the flat side of the bale and put a ratchet strap around the bale and hook it to the bucket, tighten it up, roll the bucket back and go.

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #7  
Tx Jim said:

Jim, be very careful if loading with a loader bucket. As mentioned NEVER LIFT BY LOADER UNLESS CHAINED SECURELY! I've seen one bale roll down the FEL like a roller coaster and kill.

I also forgot to say I have liquid in my rear tires. You will definitly need balast on the rear of your tractor as the slightest movement down with the bale up in the air WILL cause your back of the tractor to come up.

Just be very careful. You are asking a small tractor to do a BIG job. It may do it but you will definitely be at the MAX of what this little tractor can do. I know, I use mine hard and push it every day and it surprises me. Just go slow and do not rush.

If you are planning on doing this on a regular basis, I would suggest a larger heavier tractor. Something in the 50+ HP would be a bare minimum but would also need to be heavier as well.

Good luck and post back with your results.

Dave

/ Lifting rd bale hay? #8  
I fear that it would not work. I move 6ft round bales with a 50ish hp tractor... find it is MANDATORY to have a bale on the rear FIRST before I put one on FEL bale spike. I have loaded tires AND 200 lbs of rear weight extra on rear before I pick up a rear bale. On the occasion where I MUST drop the rear bale first while spike still holds a bale, tractor gets VERY tippy... fall into a armadillo hole and the whole pucker factor thing fails:eek:

I'd REALLY, REALLY consider using a rear 3PH bale mover ONLY for that tractor along with significant weight on front as a counter balance.