newbie: Cub Cadet 6284 w/FEL

/ newbie: Cub Cadet 6284 w/FEL #1  

Hotfoot

Hi, I'm a lurker who would like to ask a few questions before a CT purchase. I'm a contractor who needs a machine to dig/load broken asphalt from parking lots, and also to do some gravel installation/grading. I like the CC 6284 with the Cat engine but my concerns are: 1. What is the height to the hinge pin? can't find this info anywhere. I need to load a one ton dump truck. 2: if you can't see the cutting edge, how do you do fine work with the loader? 3. Does this tractor have more breakout force than a 25 horse Bobcat?

I like the CT's rather than the skidsteer because the CT is better for gravel work, also my budget is around 10k and that buys a real nice CT with low, low hours vs. a skidsteer with 1000 hours that's been beat to death. Any input from you guys is appreciated, thanks!
Rod

/ newbie: Cub Cadet 6284 w/FEL #2  
This is just my partial opinion.
I was looking at that same machine when my Cub dealer talked me into something else.

I ended up with a 2015 Mahindra 4x4 with a loader and it cost s alot less, for twice as much tractor. $11,000 delivered, with loaded tires. Basically, this is the smallest of compact tractors, before you get into the sub-compacts. It's heavy duty all around, and would have no problem doing what you're looking to do.

The reason I responded to your post in the Cub Cadet forum is the Mahindra 2015 is the same tractor as the Cub Cadet model 7200 (gear drive) and 7205 (hydrostatic). The whole machine is made by Mitsubishi, and has a Mitsubishi diesel. Look at one in person, and you'll see what I mean. Also, the visibility using the bucket is pretty good, and it has a bucket level indicator that really comes in handy.

/ newbie: Cub Cadet 6284 w/FEL
Well I haven't seen a Mahindra, except on the webisite. Can you tell me if the "float" feature on the FEL is found on that tractor? (where the bucket just lies flat and rides the ground contour).

/ newbie: Cub Cadet 6284 w/FEL #4  
Yep, it has the float position. Actually I can't think of any tractors that don't.

There are some pretty good pictures of the 2015's on billstractor.com.

Again, I didn't even know much of Mahindra til I looked at this thing. But it really continues to impress me. The lift capacities are alot better too. I even used mine to remove my old driveway, so I know it would do what you want.

Just looking on the website, the mahindra looks a little bit larger than what I want. and the dealer is over 100 miles away. The Cub 6284 specs out good but I have not driven one yet. The NH 26 horse is a **** nice machine, i have driven that one but even the 06's with low hours and FEL are over 13k. I absolutely Love the TYM 27 horse, that is one sweet little machine but the dealer is 50 minutes away and if I need to get it fixed then that doesn't work for me. again the good used ones are 13K. I'll drive the CC over the next week or so and let you know what happens.

/ newbie: Cub Cadet 6284 w/FEL #6  
I have a 6284.
I have no idea how "high" your 1 ton is but is it something like a "T tag" dump ? If so, it would dump at that heigth, with no problem.
I can measure mine within the next couple days, if you wish.
In reference to the "loader edge"... Typically most loaders have a guide rod to reflect "roll" of the bucket. (you can see this rod from the seat)
Just set the bucket to "level", then mark or paint the rod; you'll know the position of the bucket and never have to see it . ( or that's the way I do it ?)

As far as "break out vs. the skid steer" , I'm unsure. I can tell you that any "smooth front bucket" will have a "big transformation" when you install teeth on the bucket.

Good luck.
GrayBeard

My 1 ton has a dump box with the deck being 44" off the ground (the sides fold down.) Just want to be sure I can load a healthy pile on it.

Graybeard I have seen those guide rods, in my application many times I need to get the loader lip in a very narrow spot to pry asphalt off the ground. I guess I need more seat time to get a better feel for it. I've been raised on skidsteers where you are up close and personal with the dirt you are digging. but, for the reasons I mentioned above I am going the CT route.

I have read some negativity about the CC on the net, as well as the thread that the link was posted to. This reminds me of when I was going to trade in my 7.3 for a newer Ford diesel and the message boards were lighting up with guys with broke down trucks. (the guys who's equipment is running good with no problems, rarely post about it IMO). But I never did trade the truck ha ha.
I don't care for JD, never have, the guys in my business hate JD skidsteers
because they are engineered screwy and difficult to work on.
Hotfoot