Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L #1  

Jon P

Thinking of buying a 5254L Told there was a problem with the drive shaft pinion gear not meshing fully and wearing down the teeth. Have anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any comments on this tractor

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L #2  
If you look through this forum you'll find a lot of people had problems with the 5000 series Cubs. I would recommend you spend some time looking at old posts and doing some research before you make a decision.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L #3  
I think most complaints have been around the 5234 diesel variant, though I can't say whether the problems are limited to that model. In general, Cub has had a higher than normal problem rate with the entire 5000 and 6000 product lines.

And considering they've been discontinued, I'd look at something else. If Cub is your preferred brand, then the new SC2400's are due out next month. They are more comparable to the old 6000 series though, so might be more money than you're looking to spend.

Other than that, I'd look at Kubota's and JD's, depending on what dealers you have near you and whether they are any good or not.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L #4  
Jon,

I have the 5254E with over 300 hours on it. I have had no major problems with my tractor. Only problems were several recall issues which a dealer fixed for free.

If the price is right it is a great tractor. However, if the price is high then real consideration must be given to the fact it is a discontinued line.

I have used mine with a 60" rear finish mower, 48" brush hog, and various rear blades.

Hope this helps, Alan

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L #5  
Jon, the 7000 series of Diesel Cubs were quite good machines. They have the Mitsubushi Engines and Drivetrains but they to were discontinued as of last year in the 30 and I believe 32 HP models. You might also look at the Mahindra line of the 15 series, they are the Mitusubishi Engine and Drivetrains and other than being Red very, very similar to the Cub line. They start in the 18 HP size on up to 32.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 Series 5254L #6  
Jon P said:
Thinking of buying a 5254L Told there was a problem with the drive shaft pinion gear not meshing fully and wearing down the teeth. Have anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any comments on this tractor

Please take a very long look at this tractor. Search for old posts on the 5234D. There is a history of broken front axles, and major transmission problems with these tractors. The problems were not limited to the 5234D. The other 5000 Series tractors share the same transmissions and other components, just the engines are different.

If you must have this tractor, strongly request that the dealer give you and extended warranty.

These 5000 tractors are MTD built with outsourced engines. MTD built the problem plagued transmissions and most of the rest of the tractor.

MTD has decided to let Yanmar build the replacement to their 5000 series because MTD could not get it right and they are spending a fortune on warranty repairs.

Buy the Yanmar built Cub tractor or buy a JD 2305, same Yanmar tractor but in green instead of the Pittsburgh Steelers color theme. You may be able to find a good deal on a used JD 2210, again, same Yanmar built tractor.

Also, if you go to sell the Cub 5000 Series tractor you will take a bath on resale. Just check E-bay. I have seen quite a few new and used Cub 5000 and 6000 Series tractors go unsold.

Good luck and happy shopping.