Differential lock up

/ Differential lock up #1  

schwant

Mroning Iam new to the forum but Iam on my second cub cadet
I just up sized to a 3240 , Picked it up from the implement dealer last Saturday. Tryed it out at the place everything worked great ,trailered it home (150 miles) and went to get it off of the trailer and it would only back up 3 feet then lock up and not move it would go forward but not back. I dissengaged the trans and it was still locked up my son and i had to lift it off, not easy. Then i drove it forward for a while then it could back up but now it clunks when i drive forward at a higher speed if i turn sharp the noise changes in pitch .I think something let loose in my diff . The dealer is going to fix it but this worrries me that this units is bad I have not heard of this happening to cast iron transmissions before

/ Differential lock up
Following up you can tell Iam new to this .I would like to know if anyone else had this problem with 3000 series cubs and what others think might have happened to my 3240 . I really enjoy this forum and really like reading it daily.

/ Differential lock up #3  
I had a 5252 a couple years ago where the rear differential would lock. Since the differential was locked, I could barely turn. The steering wheel would turn, but would keep going straight. Are you able to turn like normal?

Is the unit new or used?

/ Differential lock up #4  
When i picked up my 3225 in January, it moved at first and then it didn't and there was a pitch issue like you describe. If I shut it off and waited for a few minutes it would "sorta" work again. I checked the fluid and it was low.

The good news was that getting fluid to the right level fixed the problem. The bad news was that there was a differential seal leak and the level would fall over time.

Check the level of fluid in the rear and keep your fingers crossed. The fluid should look like modest weight motor oil, but is actually a synthetic fluid. There are lots of threads about this "liquid gold" at the dealer.

/ Differential lock up #5  
That's a strange one. Did they forget to fill the transmission with oil? Install wrong transmission oil filter? You mention the differential - does that model have a differential lock? I'd wonder if the lock linkage was adjusted wrong, keeping it engaged.

I'm really just guessing here, the hydro is so strongly built that I see no reason for failure if set up properly, I'd more suspect linkage or oil flow problems.

/ Differential lock up
This model was used one owner 267 hours . It has a differential lock and that seems to work when i tryed it on a snow covered driveway. The noise is a metalic sound so think something came apart on the trailer ride and got wedged in there so it wouldnt back up then fell clear when i drove forward but is still rubbing . When i picked it up the dealer(JD dealer) said it was 1/2 a qt low on hydro fluid and the local cub dealer told them to use Castrol Syntec 5 w 50 so they added 1/2 a qt. Is there anything I should have them check good when they get it apart?

/ Differential lock up #7  
I've heard a few people try and make some pretty educated guesses on what an off the shelf version of the "liquid gold" cub cadet recommended product, but don't recall Castrol 5 W 50 ever being mentioned.

I think draining/replacing the fluid would be a good place to start. Pop a new filter on while you're at it.

/ Differential lock up #8  
Is there any chance that the clunk is related to the brakes? There could be a clunk when you drive if there was some issue there and they might bind in one direction.

I know that my brake actuator rods were pretty messed up when I brought mine 3225 home. (Seems like the ends got caught up in a set of ill-fitting tire chains at some point in their life!):eek:

/ Differential lock up
No the brakes are fine ,I read a post where someone cracked the differential case when a wheel bearing fell apart and when one of the balls wedged in the differential gears then they cracked out the bottom of the case That same thing maybe happened to me only it didnt crack the case but its in there yet making contact. I well let you know what the dealer finds they are going to fix it since I didnt even use the tractor yet.

/ Differential lock up #10  
Is the John Deer dealer going to have it fixed at an authorized cub dealer? Is he going to warrant his work for a satisfactory period? Otherwise I would try to get my money refunded.