Oil & Fuel Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin?

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
I have a Cub Super LT1550. It has the Kohler Courage 25HP V-Twin with a spin-on oil filter.

Has anyone found any oil filters on the market that match the OEM Cub Cadet oil filter that's on the engine from the factory? To me it looks like a standard automotive oil filter from something like a Chevy Cavalier (Delco part PF47).

The price of the Cub Cadet branded filter is insane. I'm sure there's nothing special about the filter and it's probably an existing automotive filter that Kohler took advantage of. Anyone know the alternate part number if there is one?....and the brand?

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin?
I may have answered my own question by doing a search. I found this on the web. Let me know if it's correct (if you know)...

I saw someone saying in another post regarding the SLT 1550 with the Kohler 25HP V-Twin that the Wix filter is a 51348. So I searched for the cross reference and saw this on a motorcycle forum. Can you tell me if this is correct info?

These Oil Filters
have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
8 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

Recommended filters in blue. Available filters include
Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
Mobil1 M1-102
Bosch 3330
AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
Baldwin B1413
Fram PH6022, PH6065A
Hastings LF576
NAPA 1348
Purolator ML16822
WIX 51348

Interesting. I just called O'Reillys Auto parts and they checked the computer and said...

Kohler 22, 25 and 27HP V-Twin engines use Wix 51056 (which they do sell).

I guess I'll go with what they say.

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #4  
pz31g22 said:
Interesting. I just called O'Reillys Auto parts and they checked the computer and said...

Kohler 22, 25 and 27HP V-Twin engines use Wix 51056 (which they do sell).

I guess I'll go with what they say.

Pretty sure I'm using the 1056 NAPA filter on my 20hp. Kohler (2544). The hydraulic filter is a 1040, I recall.

I checked Wix's web site before I bought the 51056 to be sure. They say that's the correct filter. When I got home, I noticed the new Wix filter is quite a bit shorter than the factory yellow Cub Cadet branded filter on there...but it does fit and works just fine. I don't know what Wix's reasoning is for the shorter size, but if that's the filter they say I need it's fine with me...assuming it does as good of a job or better. Chances are, I'll never notice any difference. I've never once in my life had an engine problem related to the brand of oil or filter I use (I sometimes alternate depending on what's easily available, but I try to get Purolator as far as the filter goes).

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #6  
pz31g22 said:
I noticed the new Wix filter is quite a bit shorter than the factory yellow Cub Cadet branded filter on there...but it does fit and works just fine. I don't know what Wix's reasoning is for the shorter size, but if that's the filter they say I need it's fine with me

That's ok, kohler has 2 oil filters a short and a longer one,like the one that came with your new Cub.I like to use the longer filter if they have it in that day.But i have never heard of much of a down side wiyh the shorter filter.

CC 04 GT3235
CC 07 GT1554
Snapper LT 1999

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #7  
I thought I saw the longer filter in TSC the other day myself. I don't remember the price, but for something you only change about every 100hrs why be picky? I'll use the Kohler filter for piece of mind. IMHO

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #8  
i change every 25 hours.i also only use kohler.

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #9  
I checked Wix's web site before I bought the 51056 to be sure. They say that's the correct filter. When I got home, I noticed the new Wix filter is quite a bit shorter than the factory yellow Cub Cadet branded filter on there...but it does fit and works just fine. I don't know what Wix's reasoning is for the shorter size, but if that's the filter they say I need it's fine with me...assuming it does as good of a job or better. Chances are, I'll never notice any difference. I've never once in my life had an engine problem related to the brand of oil or filter I use (I sometimes alternate depending on what's easily available, but I try to get Purolator as far as the filter goes).

Everything I've read on the net says that the WIX filter that you need is the 51348.

/ Alternate oil filter for Kohler Courage V Twin? #10  
The one I'm having problems with is the Purolator air filter that cross references to the Kohler 32 083 03-S