Newbie questions about Cub Cadet 3184

/ Newbie questions about Cub Cadet 3184 #1  

PBrannon

Hi Folks -

Really like your site. Learning a lot about my "new" hobby.

I have an opportunity to get a Cub 3184 with 116 hours on it for $1,500. It has the 44" deck but nothing else. I'll be moving into a new place in the country on 2 acres and potentially could have an acre in a garden.

My question is where one goes to find implements for the 3184. I don't seem to find any used equipment. Cub seems really proud of their Cat 0 3 point and the tiller??? don't even mention it.

Would I be able to pull a disc cultivator without a 3 point by just adding weight to the cultivator? I'm thinking that a self powered pull behind tiller would work ok.

Is there another tractor that I should consider instead of the 3184?

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Paul

/ Newbie questions about Cub Cadet 3184 #2  
Thats a deal on a 3000 series if its clean. The 3184 was a basic version that came with smaller rear tires and no diff lock. At its entry level price point (about 5000) it was the least expensive 3000 series with the lowet hP Kohler.

We have a left over 3 point hydraulic hitch I'll sell. You'd need special O implements (Brinly Hardy) or the adapter from BH to use sleeve hitch implements.

The tillers from Cub for these tractors require the 3 point and are a hydraulic driven dual direction beast of a tiller that were about 2500.

Sorry our site is down for overhaul

/ Newbie questions about Cub Cadet 3184
Wow - seek and ye shall find!

The local cub dealer couldn't help and said that the tiller would be about 4K. Hmmm.

There are a few superficial rust spots on the deck, but I'm sure that they are cosmetic and can be cleaned. I even have a little storage shed on the property where I'll keep the cub. It was just serviced, new spark plugs, oil change, rear tires have been swapped for larger pulling tires instead of lawn tires. I'm seeing some Cat 0 equip and feel that it should work fine. I'm hoping to have enough garden for the 2 of us, and leftovers for friends and the food bank.

Preliminary soil tests show fairly alkaline soil. The local co-op is going to help me with determining how to make it more acid.

Please let me know when the web-site comes back up.

I hope to be closing on the property within 3 to 4 weeks. Then, I'll start having fun!

Thanks again

Paul

/ Newbie questions about Cub Cadet 3184 #4  
Given the price of the tractor I think you could justify adding the cat. 0 3 point hitch, which I think several years ago was around $600 if memory serves me.
I had a 3235 I bought new in 2001 and bought the 3 point hitch about 2 years later. I installed it myself and it worked out real well for me. I made a sleeve hitch adapter for a 10 inch moldboard plow I bought from Sears that I'm pretty sure was made by Brinly Hardy. I also had a cat. 0 disc that with some weight cut really well. Having the 3 point hitch and a sleeve hitch adapter gives you twice as many choices for your attatchments.
If you planned on lifting anything very heavy or anything located very far rearward you may need a little front end weight. I never added any and the front end was light when lifting the disc, but I had quite a bit of weight on the disc.
I too wanted the hydralic driven Cub Cadet tiller but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Good luck.

/ Newbie questions about Cub Cadet 3184 #5  
so did you end up picking up the 3184 and 3 point/attachments??