PTO quit

/ PTO quit #1  

jimhenry

Hi

Got my Cub 2518 out for the first time this season. While mowing the blades stopped. PTO now does not work. Now when the PTO is now engaged the engine begins to stall out, so I disengage and engine will run OK, but nothing happens. Is the clutch shot? I have 197 hours on it.

/ PTO quit #2  
take a good look at the engine and pto clutch as during the winterr mice like to build nests in engines and they often eat a few wires.

/ PTO quit #3  
Did you run over some wire or similar item that could have tangled up in the blades? It has happened to me before and stopped the blades.

/ PTO quit #4  
Could also be the safety switch under the seat. Like when you raise off the seat alittle it disengages the PTO. You can check this switch by putting a jumper wire in the plug ends and it should allow the PTO to stay engaged. Hope this helps.

/ PTO quit #5  
A dry or seized bearing somewhere perhaps? If I'm thinking correctly, the PTO either works, or it doesn't. Wish I could do more. Hope this helps.

/ PTO quit #6  
I think the clutch may have gone bad. I have a 2518 and I replaced my PTO last year. It was opposite for me though. The PTO wouldn't shut off.
I think i had around 230 hours on it.

I had to get off and pick something up and black smoke started pouring out of the front. It stalled because I wasn't on the machine because of the saftey switch but it did run fine as long as I was in the seat.

You will have a stroke if you need to replace it. I paid $300 for a new one:eek:

Michael

/ PTO quit
jimhenry said:
Hi

Got my Cub 2518 out for the first time this season. While mowing the blades stopped. PTO now does not work. Now when the PTO is now engaged the engine begins to stall out, so I disengage and engine will run OK, but nothing happens. Is the clutch shot? I have 197 hours on it.

Sorry for my slow response. Turned out that the battery was bad. Evidently not enough charge to keep the electric clutch running. Got a new battery and all runs OK.

/ PTO quit #8  
jimhenry said:
Sorry for my slow response. Turned out that the battery was bad. Evidently not enough charge to keep the electric clutch running. Got a new battery and all runs OK.

That's one for me to keep in mind. I would have never thought it would have been the battery.
Thanks for reporting it back to us.
Don