3184 running kind of hot

/ 3184 running kind of hot #1  

Suribachiae21

I mowed the lawn for the first time this year and I noticed the engine seemed to be running hotter than usual and spitting kind of - not backfiring but more like a spitting noise. The tractor also lost power once and died - almost like running out of fuel, but the tank was full. The tranny and engine oil levels are good. Any ideas? My brother in-law put some seafoam engine/gunk cleaner in the fuel tank to clean out the engine/carb - said he does it to his tractor every spring. Could the additive be causing the hotter running and spitting noise. he said it may run rough until the additive burns through with the fuel. Should I disown him and divorce his sister?

/ 3184 running kind of hot #2  
I suggest you drain the fuel, replace the fuel filter, check spark plugs and then put fresh fuel in . . . cheaper than a divorce!!

Nittany
2004 Cub Cadet 2518

/ 3184 running kind of hot
Well, cost is always a concern. Seriously though, has anyone ever used this seafoam engine oil/fuel additive in their tractor/mower? I have used it before in my work truck and in the Cub and the Gravelys, but I poured it in through the carb intake and at a rate so as to not starve/cut out the engine. Smokes like a son of a gun for a few minutes and then back to normal. I never added it to the fuel before though - wondering if the ratio he used was too much? Wonder what adding too much to the fuel would do - permanent damage? I guess it raises the octane like that of what a jet fuel would be? Even before he added the seafoam I had always thought that the cub's engine seemed to be running hotter than what I was used too or would consider normal. Heat shieldis in place and not altered. The plugs are the correct type/model and are gapped. Do the Kohler Command series engines run hot? Always had Gravely walk behinds prior to this ride-on so dont have a lot of experience with cub cadets or the Command series of Kohler engines. I definitely dont like the single adjustment on the carb, very difficult to set a steady low idle without some kind of surging or changes in idle - never what I would consider smooth-surging is an issue to some extent. And yes, this is after following the manufacturers recommended carb adjustment/idling proceedures. I bought this used from a certified dealer with only 152 hours on it, so who knows what the previous guy did with it. Thanks for any help and information.

/ 3184 running kind of hot #4  
Seafoam is mostly Naptha so it's solvent action my loosen some stuff up and pass it through the engine. I've not used it in my Kohler but Marvel Mystery Oil causes similar behaviors. Smoking, rough running, trying to die, etc. If your brother in law added too much there's no telling but the problems will likely be worse. Use some clean fuel and I bet they all go away.

The Kohler engines don't seem to run overly hot in most applications.

Can't tell you what to do with the brother in law. Can't answer about the wife either. It depends on what she looks like. :D

Decided to keep the wife and the mower - getting rid of the brother inlaw. I'll just keep adding new fuel to dilute, I can't make myself drain and discard the tank fuel/seafoam mix, not at $3.76 gal. I guess I could drain and throw in the pickup, 3 gals into 24 gals wouldnt hurt the truck at all. I was told on another forum to check the heat shields and make sure the engine is clean to ensure max airflow across the engine because the Kohlers do run a little hot. I may change the engine oil from 5W-30 to 10W-30 too. Also told to try a cooler spark plug - not sure how to go about verifying that or finding out what the number of a cooler plug is - told the parts counter guy should know. hmmmmm.

Thanks,
Bill

/ 3184 running kind of hot #6  
Don't be afraid to recycle that fuel into the pickup . . . seafoam in proportionate quantities is known to be a good product!

Just a reminder, change out the fuel filter and follow the recommendations of the owner's manual on maintenance (change spark plugs, 10w30 oil change, new air filter, transmission service, etc.) . . . send the Brother-in-law to pick up some beer while you do all the recommended service and that tractor will last you a good long time! If you don't have a manual, they can be downloaded . . .

Nittany
2004 Cub Cadet 2518

/ 3184 running kind of hot #7  
I agree. Keep the wife and mower, send the BIL for beer as penance. And don't waste the fuel. Just keep running fresh stuff though it until it clears out.

I'd certainly run 10W-30 in that engine instead of 5W-30 and not one of the API "starburst" marked oils. They're made to shear down for fuel economy and aren't optimum in an air cooled engine IMO.

Rotella T 10W-30 is readily available at least around here and if you want a petroleum based oil it's probably a good choice. A lot of people run 15W-40 conventional and 5W-40 synthetics too with good results.

Good idea keeping the engine clean too. I blow out the shroud and everything assessable on my 2554 after every mowing.

/ 3184 running kind of hot #8  
Ps, when you send the BIL for a 12 pak, let him know up front that when he pulls into the drive you want all 12 of them too, not 11 or 10. LOL :D

/ 3184 running kind of hot #9  
One more thing fellas. How many men does it take to open a beer? None She's supposed to have it open when she brings it to you. :rolleyes:

Well I syphoned all the fuel out and replaced the fuel filter. It's running fine again other than a bit of surging once in awhile which I believe is due to the carb only having one adjustment feature.
I installed my new Johnny Bucket Sr and went to work on the 20-yds of top soil I had delivered for the new raised bed garden. The bucket is great, fun to use and works very well for home/yard type work. The tractor's rediculously slow reverse with minimum power prevents me from using the bucket as a back blade though, just bogs down and stops if I have it digging in what I feel isnt very deep. Having locking differential would have been nice too, especially when slicing several inches in the dirt/yard with the bucket moving forward - the rear wheel will spin.
I am also going to change out the 5W-30 oil and replace with 10W-30. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help with the seafoam incident - the 5-gals of syphoned fuel went into the truck. I didnt realize that the 3000 series tank holds 5-gallons.