Cub walk behinds

/ Cub walk behinds #1  

shortlid

Silver Member
I am looking to get a new Cub walk behind with the OHV engine. Anyone know who makes the engine looks like a China unit? What about the rest of the mower MTD ro Cubs own?:confused:

/ Cub walk behinds #2  
Unfortunately... there are not too many quality built walk behind mowers anymore. Honda may be about the only thing out there worth a dime anymore, and even the smaller engines for the Honda walk behinds are made in China now. Even if you buy something with a USA built Briggs engine, much of the steel in that engine is sourced from China. Like the price gouging Arabs are doing with oil, China will eventually do to the USA with steel, as about all of our steel production is long gone.

-Fordlords-

/ Cub walk behinds
Anyone have one of these units?? Seen how they cut??

/ Cub walk behinds #4  
I have a friend that bought one several years ago and he likes it and it does a nice job.
Before I bought my current house, I only needed a walking mower and I bought a John Deere. It was a great mower but I needed a tractor in this house so I sold it. The John Deere mower replaced my second Honda. The first Honda mower I had lasted about 16 years. The second one was crap and I got rid of it after about 3 years. The JD turned out to be much better than the second Honda and probably almost as good as the first Honda.

/ Cub walk behinds #5  
Yer talkin' just a regular push mower or a commercial style walk-behind? Yes, the CC push mowers are basically MTD products, typically with slightly better wheels/hardware. The more you pay for a push mower, usually the better it is. You can pay up to ~$1000 for an aluminum deck, commercial series Toro.

Joel

/ Cub walk behinds #6  
I looked at all the MTD Products at Home Depot, and all had Made in China tags on the engines. I'm not so sure about a company located in Cleveland that choses pittsburgh steeler colors for much of their products. I guess selling out to the Chinese is normal anymore...

The Cub Cadet walk behind looked like a nice unit until I saw the China tag. A similar CC mower is available at Tractor Supply with Honda Power.

I'm not so sure about the chinese steel in a briggs engines, this country still makes a heck of a lot of steel. In the month of March alone, Domestic Mills shipped over 9,100,000 Tons of steel. I work with steel everyday in my job at Chrysler, and we currently buy NO chinese steel. Our plant consumes, on average over 20,000 tons of steel a month. Our biggest supplier is US Steel with a lot of our product coming out of their Gary Works as well as their Great Lakes facility. Much of that product is coated at DESCO in Detroit, Midwest in Indiana or Protec in NW Ohio. Our second biggest supplier is ArcelorMittal, which is a foreign owned company. However, the steel we buy from them comes from the old Inland, LTV, and Bethlehem Steel Mills all here in the United States. We also buy from:

Severstal NA - Russian Company that bought Ford's Rouge Steel.
AK Steel - American Company with US Plants
Thyssen Krupp - German, but building a plant down in Alabama. Thyssen is currently the only supplier, at least to my plant, that provides us with any steel that's NOT made in the USA.

AISI | March Steel Shipments Down 1.9 Percent From Last Year

A well written article about one of the steel companies that helped build this country:The Sinking Of Bethlehem Steel A hundred years ago one of the 500's legendary names was born. Its decline and ultimate death took nearly half that long. A FORTUNE autopsy. - April 5, 2004

/ Cub walk behinds #7  
If you are looking for a great quality mower look no further than a Snapper. They have the best drive system bar none. They have differsnt models and types but you can get an awesome walk mower with the same basic drive system that is on there rear engine riders starting about $500.00 and up. They also have more budget minded models as well and they also make the John Deere walk mowers.

/ Cub walk behinds #8  
GeaugaDeere said:
...this country still makes a heck of a lot of steel. In the month of March alone, Domestic Mills shipped over 9,100,000 Tons of steel. I work with steel everyday in my job at Chrysler...

Amen to that! I run plants that supply oxygen to our steel mills for a living. At times we can barely keep up. They'll suck all the O2 plant can make and draw liquid backup to supplement. Cha-CHING! $$$$ Shipping costs are going to get so high it wont be cost effective to buy (as much) Chinese import products. There's always going to be some.

Joel