PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO

/ PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO #1  

Altair 4

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2160
I have a 2160 AGS Cub, owned since new, with 350 hours on the tractor. Last year, I had to replace the engine (mice built a nest in valley of the V and it overheated) and the PTO (couldn't get the old one off the old engine). I found a new B&S 16 hp Vanguard engine that worked with minimal modification and ordered a new PTO from Pat's Samall Engine Plus. The new engine and PTO have about 12 hours on them.

This season, after mowing about an hour, I got to a tight corner of my property. In order to maneuver my way back out, I hit the reverse pedal, which on this tractor automatically disengages the blades. Upon gettting straightened out, I pushed in the PTO switch and pulled it back out again to engage the PTO. Nothing happened. Tried it repeatedly, with no engagement. Literally, it ran fine one moment and wouldn't run the next.

Yesterday, I had a chance to check what works and what doesn't. There is no voltage coming to the electrical connection to the PTO with someone in the seat and the PTO switch pulled out. The seat switch works in that it kills the engine if the weight is off the seat while the brake is disengaged. It kills the engine ir the weight is off the seat and if the brake is engaged and the PTO switch is pulled out. The PTO tests out okay for maintaining the proper resistance with an ohmeter. The battery seems to have sufficient current.

I'm the first to admit I'm not the best in tracking down electrical problems. I found the service manual for this mower on line, but I didn't find the correct Appendix for testing the PTO switch or the Reverse switch.

Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions for further testing? Sorry for the long first post. Looking forward to any thoughts on this! Thanks!

/ PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO #2  
The first place to look is the reverse switch that shuts off the pto. It may be stuck or have some clippings built up around it.

/ PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO
OldMachinist said:
The first place to look is the reverse switch that shuts off the pto. It may be stuck or have some clippings built up around it.

Thanks for the advice. I want to check on that as soon as I get home tonight. Can you give me a hint where that switch is hiding? The diagram I saw makes it look it's hiding by the steering rack and pinion, but I didn't see it there the other day (admittedly I only took a quick look!). Or is it under the frame? Thanks!

/ PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO #4  
I don't know exactly where the switch is on your machine but I'd just follow the linkage from the pedal and you should see it.

Okay, I'll follow the mechanical linkage and see what I find. Sounds like it will only be visible under the mower with the deck off. Thanks for the lead! I'll post tomorrow what I find.

/ PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO #6  
If it is not the reverse switch; try the relay; they are prone to failure.

dgdave1, where is this relay of which you speak? WHile I've been fairly adept at keeping the mechanical side of things humming along, I'm not good on the electrical side.

There's a small doodad hanging from the harness very close to the ignition key switch. Is that it?

And the award goes to....OldMachinist!

I pulled the deck out from under my 2160, and followed the linkage from the forward/reverse pedals. I found the plunger for the reverse switch and pushed it a couple of times with my finger. Then tried the PTO and it worked. Wouldn't work again after the mower was put into reverse without manually pushing in the plunger, but I got the lawn mowed last night, saving me another 3.5 hours behind the self propelled Lawn Boy.

I'm going to try spraying it with contact cleaner first. If that doesn't work, I'll order up a new one. Does the group have any suggestions for good online vendors for Cub parts like this?

/ PTO Stopped in Middle of Mow - no voltage to PTO #9  
Altair 4 said:
And the award goes to....OldMachinist!

I pulled the deck out from under my 2160, and followed the linkage from the forward/reverse pedals. I found the plunger for the reverse switch and pushed it a couple of times with my finger. Then tried the PTO and it worked. Wouldn't work again after the mower was put into reverse without manually pushing in the plunger, but I got the lawn mowed last night, saving me another 3.5 hours behind the self propelled Lawn Boy.

I'm going to try spraying it with contact cleaner first. If that doesn't work, I'll order up a new one. Does the group have any suggestions for good online vendors for Cub parts like this?

Don't bother with ordering a new one, just bend the metal flange so it doesn't hit the plunger when you go in reverse.....

Thanks, but I don't want to disable a safety feature.