Kohler Command 20

/ Kohler Command 20 #1  

Jim_Zis

Does anyone know of problems with the command 20 Kohler engine? I have a 3 yr old GT2544 with a command 20, 146 hrs and it now has a noise in the lower half of the engine, the exhust now sounds hollow and if I take the throttle from idle to full speed in one quick motion, it now will stall out. Any ideas?

/ Kohler Command 20 #2  
I have the same model with no problems yet. I only have about 50 or so hours on it though. I did have the oil filter loosen and start leaking, but all it needed was tightening back up and top the oil off. How often did you change the oil?

/ Kohler Command 20 #3  
I've got 2 tractors with the Command 20, no problems, it generally is a very reliable engine.

Not knowing exactly what sound you are hearing - first, is the oil full and looking fresh and fairly clean? I'd start by changing oil and filter, see what the old oil looks like, can never hurt to start over with clean oil.

The hollow exhaust sound and stalling when given throttle quickly make me wonder if you have a valve problem. That might also translate to sound that seemed to come from the lower end. If you have a compression tester I'd see what you have, if not you may have to bring it to a dealer to check it out.

/ Kohler Command 20 #4  
Just about 100 hrs. on my '05 2544 with no problems. It uses zero oil and I run about 40 hours per year.

You may have a partially plugged carburetor jet or fuel filter, leading to some lean running conditions and that can cause preignition which can sound like what you describe.

Also, replace your air filter if you haven't - that can make it run rich if it's clogged.

Check the blower screen and fins on the engine to make sure everything is clean and it is not overheating.

Pull the plugs and look at them. They both should be equal in appearance - a light "coffee with cream" brown. Black and sooty or burned and white are both bad.

Generally, Kohler Command engines are bulletproof. But, there's always the lemon in the group somewhere. I'd prefer the little Kawasaki liquid cooled diesel V-Twin myself, but the Command is powerful and fuel efficient enough for me.

/ Kohler Command 20 #5  
I'm going on 500 hours on my Kolher Command 20. I did lose a fuel pump at around 250 hours, but that was obviously a manufacturing defect (part not "staked", or headed over correctly, causing failure) that didn't get caught. Other than that it has been bullet proof, and fuel efficient.

/ Kohler Command 20 #6  
I have had no problems with Kohler Command 20. It is very reliable as I have 330+ hours on it. Still runs like new.

/ Kohler Command 20 #7  
I know mine has always been a little finicky with a quick throttle blip until it's warmed up, then it's good to go. Old gas being used? You could be missing on of the 2 plugs, possible carb issue, etc...

Joel

/ Kohler Command 20 #8  
The Command 20 has been around for a while, there have been no perticular problems to note with it other than the occasional lemon when new. If still under warranty, have a dealer take a look at it.

-Fordlords-