cub cadet 1320 PTO

/ cub cadet 1320 PTO #1  

nealro

I have what is probably a simple question about the PTO on my 1320. First a brief background, I just bought the tractor last fall (2007) from a guy that was only using the tractor, the deck was laying behind his garage collecting rust. I decided to get the mower running this spring so I replaced the blades, idler pulleys on the deck and PTO and some miscellaneouse springs, bushings, bolts etc. Mounted the deck up and it appeared the PTO was functioning OK, the belt tightened and the pulley brake released when the lever was pushed forward and of course the opposite when pulled back. When I started the mower up, the blades started spinning right along with it even though the PTO was in the off position. This of course got the pulley brake and belt to smoking. The belt is the correct part number and size and is loose when the PTO is off.

My question is, is there supposed to be some kind of clutch on the pulley coming off the engine crankshaft? Or is the belt supposed to be pushed completely off of that pulley when the PTO is not engaged? I don't understand how the blades are not going to spin when the engine is running if this is not the case.

/ cub cadet 1320 PTO
Well I got it figured out. I hate to leave a post incomplete so the next guy doesn't know the answer to the problem so thought I'd post a follow up my problem. I pulled off the rusty crank pulley and sandblasted it, reinstalled it and the problem still occurred though not as bad. After a few more times of mowing the problem has gone away. I guess the belt just needed broken in a bit more. Seems the combination of a new belt and a rusty crank pulley created enough friction to constanty want to turn the blades.

/ cub cadet 1320 PTO #4  
Can anyone tell me exactly where the springs connect at or post a good picture so I can see where they go please? Im having trouble finding where they hook up at. Thanks.