Buying Advice Need buying advice on a Model 2542

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #1  

mbu

Silver Member
Tractor
Hi,

I think I''ll purchase the Model 2542. Can it be purchased via the internet or should I get it thru a local dealer? The local dealer whats $3,100.00 and $175.00 for freight - is this good or bad?

Thanks...

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #2  
Definitely buy it from a dealer. $3100 is a good price, considering list is $3200. Not many dealers go below list with Cub products.

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #3  
Have to agree with CC, the dealer can make all the difference between being a happy, satisfied owner or growling every time you look at the machine. If you have more than one dealer in your area, as I do, just do your homework and try to buy from the best dealer. I did some research on the dealers in my area before I bought my 2542 and I'm lucky I did, suffice it to say there are good dealers and then there are the OH NO dealers.

In addition, it's just a simple fact of life that most dealers are going to take care of their customers before they work on a machine purchased on the internet. So if you ever need a major repair, you could be living in a jungle before you get the machine back.

Good luck, I think you'll like the 2542, I'm very happy with mine.

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542
Double 00 Soul,

Does a tool lift (I don't know what they call it) come with the tractor?

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #5  
I don't know that I've ever heard of having to pay a freight charge. Especially $175. When I bought my 2544 brand-new in 2005, I paid the MSRP of $2999 + sales tax. No other fees. Some dealers will charge for delivery. Mine didn't at the time. They probably do now with the cost of everything.

Joel

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #6  
JTKub said:
I don't know that I've ever heard of having to pay a freight charge. Especially $175. When I bought my 2544 brand-new in 2005, I paid the MSRP of $2999 + sales tax. No other fees. Some dealers will charge for delivery. Mine didn't at the time. They probably do now with the cost of everything.

Joel
No del. or freight on my CC GT2554.
:cool:

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #7  
Generally a dealer will charge freight if he's ordering the tractor outside of his window of free shipping (usually at the beginning of the year, then again in summer).

At least that's the way it is with my dealer. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
   / Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #8  
mbu,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by tool lift but my guess is you may be talking about raising or lowering the mower deck for example. This is done by manual operation of a lever and yes, this is included as part of the tractor. To get into hydraulic implement control, you have to get into the 3000 series of tractors.

If this isn't what you meant please let me know.

BTW, another plus of getting a 2500 series is that they come with Kohler engines and Kohler provides very good support if you ever have need to contact them. For instance, when I bought my first engine oil filter for the 2542, I noted that it was shorter than the filter that came on the tractor. I contacted Kohler and they told me that the shorter filter could be used on my engine and that there are actually three filters that will work on that engine. The dealer didn't seem to be aware of this so it's nice to have that added support. I always get the largest filter just for peace of mind.

Last edited:
   / Need buying advice on a Model 2542
Double 00 Soul,

You answered my question...I thought maybe Cub Cadet was talking about a lift for a 3-point hitch but that's not the case!

One other question if you don't mind - the dealer here doesn't have the 2542 for me to look at. Don't get me wrong - our family has been doing our farm business with him for over 60 years and if there is a problem he'll correct it in a heartbeat!

Okay... I noticed from the parts manual that the front wheels don't have wheel bearings like autos. Will that be a problem as the machine ages or will they wobble in time?

Thanks for your time and experience - I appreciate it very much!

Mike

/ Need buying advice on a Model 2542 #10  
My machine only has 124 hours on it but the wheels are as straight and as snug as when I bought it. The front wheels do have grease fittings on them so I would say wheel bearings are a non-issue. My 2542 is also used in the winter to blow snow so if the front wheels were poorly designed, I would think it would have shown on my machine by now. Maybe some of the folks with more "senior" machines could chime in on this issue or perhaps Art White or Messick's could let you know if there have been any issues with the front wheels. So far mine are just fine.