Hydro noise and grass cut

/ Hydro noise and grass cut #1  

vtcress

Bronze Member
Tractor
GT2542 , broken YardKing
This is posted a little off topic so I値l include the reasons to bring it back on topic. The Question relates to hydro noise on my old tractor which was replaced with my GT2542. The GT is a fine heavy tractor work-horse however the grass cut is still not as good as my old tractor. I have tried the 3 in one blade; the high lift; and the gator blades. The best looking cut was when the chute was raised about 2 inches or so, but still not as clean as the old tractor.
Now to the old tractor question.. It痴 a 4x steering YardKing, 42 inch cut, 15 HP with a Peerless VST (non-serviceable) Hydro. It has been used hard and the oil was burnt and then changed with Amsoil Hydro oil. No difference except smell is gone. Still goes up 15-20 degree slopes without slipping but noise has grown deafening. That was the reason for buying the CC 2 years ago. The old tractor was then moved to the 澱ack of the shed and left. When the CC failed the other day (Ignition switch.. new bug home in key hole), I had to cut with the old tractor. It痴 a cross between a light tractor and a go-cart much fun to drive and whip around and very stable on the slopes. A new hydro is available for $550 but is it worth it??? I would appreciate any comments related to the old Peerless Hydro or for that matter anything similar. What make the noise; the pump??, air in the system?? Etc?? Any sense in taking it apart and if so what to look for?? These are obviously questions for people experienced with that hydro and I remember that there were a few on the site a year ago.
Thanks
Charlie in vt