Oil & Fuel 1782 Diesel loses power

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #1  

Nufarmer01

Have a super garden tractor 1782 kubota diesel that starts and runs fine, then after using for a few minutes it loses power and then speeds back up again. It has a new fuel filter and air filter so don't know what to do next. 900hrs and it normally runs fine until this episode. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #2  
I'd look for ether a restriction or a leak in the fuel line. The fuel pick up in the tank could be plugged up. A pin hole leak in the fuel line could be sucking air. Also drain some fuel from the tank and check for water. A quick check to see if it's somewhere in the fuel line is to hook up a new line at the filter and put the other end in a clean jug of fuel and see if the problem goes away.

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #3  
What's the exhaust smoke look like when it bogs? Black, blue? Does this only happen with the mowing deck engaged? I know the main thing with this model is keep the radiator core clean. Where it's mounted causes it to plug with debris.

Joel

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #4  
You must have a lemon of a tractor. Just give me directions and I'll come take it off your hands. I hate to see people in distress.

/ 1782 Diesel loses power
It blows out black smoke and it doesn't necessarily happen when mowing or pto engaged. I replaced the fuel tank because of the old one leaking around the filler cap, but it was acting up before this. Thanks for your replies. Magiclj, if you want to give me what I have in the tractor I would be glad to let you take it off my hands. Ha! Ha!

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #6  
Black smoke is too much fuel. Possible causes are intake air restriction, exhuast restriction or injector problems(leaking or worn). Did this start after you changed the air filter? Was it a OEM filter or aftermarket?

All my filters are OEM, for some reason it seemed like it started after the throttle cable came loose, why then I don't know. It was fine until then, unless it is just a coincidence.
Thanks

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #8  
Did the throttle come loose where it attaches to the lever or did the lever come loose on the shaft? Ether way I'd check the spring between the throttle lever and the engine stop lever item 15 on the diagram to make sure it's engaged and not broken.
throttle.gif

I will do that, thanks a bunch.

/ 1782 Diesel loses power #10  
Also, make sure you are adding some Power Services or other Lubricity additave to your fuel, these older diesels and thier pumps do not like this new fuel at all. Even the offroad stuff here is ULSD and Kubota even is saying to use lubricity and cetane boosters on thier diesels. You can take the injectors out and have them "POP" tested at any good diesel injection shop to check thier pop off pressure and spray pattern. A worn injector or pump will show once warmed up, as they get warmer, they loose thier ablity to make proper injection pressure. Usualy a worn injector will cause the engine to have a louder than normal diesel "knock" to it. If you pull the injectors to get tested, run a compression test to see how healthy the rings are, I think the pressure should be a min of around 355psi and the top end was around 450psi by the kubota book, dont have it in front of me at the moment, its back at the shop. Mike