Cub 1046 PTO diagnosis...

/ Cub 1046 PTO diagnosis... #1  

john223

Hi folks - long time lurker - got a wealth of info and tips. Now I have a problem with my 2 yr old 1046. Bought in March 06, so I am past the warrantee period. The PTO will not engange. It engaged after an overnight "cool down" for 10 minutes or so, then disengaged. Tried again today, did not engage at all. I tested the leads to the PTO wiring and had 12v across them when the switch was activated. Could not manually kick in the PTO either when I jumped the PTO harness to the battery. Before I spend over $200 on a new PTO, figured I give a shout out to see if anyone else has any other thoughts. Any tips on the replacement itself? BTW I have only 35 hrs on the machine, cutting a relatively flat 1/2+ acre. I think the reverse lockout adds additional wear to the unit IMHO. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, field mice love the tractor. Had to rewire the magneto lead earlier this year. White I was testing the PTO a momma mouse and baby ran out from under the engine mount on me! :eek:

/ Cub 1046 PTO diagnosis... #2  
cuppla things:

1. Recheck your warranty... From Model year 2005,
3 Year Limited Warranty - PTO Clutch
CUB CADET warrants the power take off (PTO) clutch and
mounting hardware against defects in material and workmanship
for a period of three (3) years for Series 1000 products
manufactured after August 1, 1997 for residential users, commencing
on the date of original purchase or lease and CUB
CADET will, at its option, repair or replace, free of charge,
any PTO clutch or mounting hardware found to be defective in
material or workmanship provided this product has been
operated and maintained as set forth above.

2. a battery in poor/failing shape can can cause intermittant clutch engagement. If nothing else, local battery shop can check your battery's condition.

3. Those busy mice could have partially chewed thru one of your PTO wires... check them closely for damage..

/ Cub 1046 PTO diagnosis... #3  
did you try thumping the relay? my 1042 from the big box had a defective relay that was taped to or around the ignition switch.

/ Cub 1046 PTO diagnosis... #4  
john223 said:
... Could not manually kick in the PTO either when I jumped the PTO harness to the battery.

That's a horrible sign right there. If the pigtail and connector is good, there might be a break in the coil internally. I hope you're not like my neighbor with a 1K series who backs up a bazillion times and has to reset the PTO every time!! WOW that's **** on the system. Crawl under and move the paddle out of the way on the reverse linkage that hits the spring loaded button switch. The neighbor kids do a lot of the mowing which is why I hesitate to disable this 'feature' for him.

Joel

/ Cub 1046 PTO diagnosis...
After running the diagnostics, I called the dealer. Took in the tractor, confirmed the 3 yr warrantee, and had the PTO fixed. Would have been over $350 repair(parts & labor).

Thanks to all who gave me the tips, and quelledd my fear of a non-warrantee repair!