Cub or International 154

/ Cub or International 154 #1  

TractorChick

Bronze Member
Is there a model like this? some dude told me all about it but I googled it left and right and I don't know what he's talking about.

Of course it's worth $8000. After all his grandfather paid $3000 for it. Last century.

/ Cub or International 154 #2  
I think that's a Lo boy isn't it? I went to tractorhouse.com, but couldn't find a 154. they do have 184's listed under the international section. Seems hard to imagine one would be worth 8k though based upon the prices i saw.

/ Cub or International 154 #3  
Is there a model like this? some dude told me all about it but I googled it left and right and I don't know what he's talking about.

Of course it's worth $8000. After all his grandfather paid $3000 for it. Last century.

The LoBoy 154, 184 and 185 replaced the older style Cub tractors (including the LoBoy model) in the the late 60s. I don't know a lot about them, but if you search on Yahoo, there is group called ihcubloboyseries that has lots of information. I picked up a snow plow for one at an auction and used these guys to help me identify it.

I'd do some real research before I went after that tractor. There is one for sell on ebay right now. Search on LoBoy. My guess is that it might be in the same price range as the older models - $1500-2500 around here.

/ Cub or International 154 #4  
I realize that because of inflation now, if you could buy a brand new one it wouldn't be $3k. But, even it if had a full body off restoration, $8k is way way over priced. I think your looking at more around $3k, and even that's kind of on the high end. What do you plan to do with it?, cut grass? I can tell you right now for the past 8 years I have cut with a 1972' IH Cub, not a 154 but it has the same engine , and it's not worth the trouble. I has a 5 ft Woods belly mower on it and yeah it will cut the grass if you keep the blades sharp, the deck clear, and the engine isn't having any problems. But it is a very slow going job to cut with. Takes me 8 hrs to cut 7 acres of flat field in 2nd gear with the throttle pegged. You can only go so fast with it as they don't have much horsepower. Mine is only 11, probably worn down to about 6 or 7 by now. The 154's were only 14 hp so it's still not much. Most only had 3 speed transmissions, but you can cut in 2 most of the time if everything on the deck is maintained. If the grass your cutting off is more than 6 inches, then you can either for get it or you'll have to cut in 1st, which is highly slow. Unless you can find one that has the 2 range transmission, to split the 3 gears, you might be able to cut slightly faster, but even then it's not worth it. You can find a much higher hp tractor with some kind of mower that's newer for $8k. Cub's were great in there hay day, but this is 2008 where ZTR's could best the Cub by half. Just my advice,if you wanna spend $8k, look else where else.

/ Cub or International 154
Thanks for your input.

This whole trade in market is killing me. People think their stuff is so valuable, but by the time I take it, clean it, have the shop service it, I can't sell it and make a hundred bucks.

We've almost stopped taking trade ins. It's like, "Sir, if your 40 year old Cub Cadet is worth $8000, please sell it and then come see me."

/ Cub or International 154 #6  
Thanks for your input.

This whole trade in market is killing me. People think their stuff is so valuable, but by the time I take it, clean it, have the shop service it, I can't sell it and make a hundred bucks.

We've almost stopped taking trade ins. It's like, "Sir, if your 40 year old Cub Cadet is worth $8000, please sell it and then come see me."

Lol, I know what you mean there.

/ Cub or International 154 #7  
The Low Boy's are forerunners to modern day CUT's. They were stoutly built and featured 3 pt hitches and PTO's like big farm tractors. Trouble is, as mentioned they are underpowered by modern standards for this type of tractor. It might be something to keep as a collector tractor, they aren't something you use as a workhorse. One would have to be in excellent A+ condition to get even $3K today, $8K would not happen.

-Fordlords-

/ Cub or International 154 #8  
We had a new 154 LoBoy in '70. It was a decent mowing tractor. 15 hp Four cylinder flathead engine, 3 speed transmission. Very underpowered. Three point hitch couldn't lift much. The tractor we had started snapping shear pins on the input shaft of the trans where the clutch connected to the trans. Couldn't run the tractor for any length of time without breaking a shear pin. Finally traded it for a L210 Kubota in '73.