Courage 20hp v-twin

/ Courage 20hp v-twin #1  

lexus114

Tractor
06 LT-1045 LE (v-twin)
I read on the internet re; the courage motor is supposed to be a 750hr motor,compared to the 2000+ command engine.What would be the engines demise? Just loose power like most modern engines do these day`s? throw a rod?.I also heard their is not much difference between the two engines besides the hydraulic lifters.Is this true?

/ Courage 20hp v-twin #2  
That seems low to me, especially if you change the oil regularly and use synthetic, but I only put about 40 hours a year on my LT1046 so that would mean almost 19 years. I am ok with that.

Last edited:
   / Courage 20hp v-twin #3  
Go to kohlerengines.com and look at the specs between the Command and Courage twins. There is virtually no differences between the major mechanicals. The air filtration and shrouding is slightly different, so the Courage twins probably have slightly 'worse' air filtration that could lead to shorter engine life. The Courage single cyl engines are completely different than anything it it's class. For your average homeowner OPE, a Courage will outlast the machine.

Joel

/ Courage 20hp v-twin
Go to kohlerengines.com and look at the specs between the Command and Courage twins. There is virtually no differences between the major mechanicals. The air filtration and shrouding is slightly different, so the Courage twins probably have slightly 'worse' air filtration that could lead to shorter engine life. The Courage single cyl engines are completely different than anything it it's class. For your average homeowner OPE, a Courage will outlast the machine.

Joel

I thought the command has hydraulic lifters,and the courage doesnt? That still doesnt explain the hours difference though.Well,Im using Synthetic oil in it,so that is about all I can do for it.It does get used year round,I plow snow with it(when we get snow)and I am very impressed with that part of the tractor.Plows the snow with ease.I used to plow snow when I was a kid with my fathers old 8hp Sears LT/8E lawn tractor,and what a difference.Its not really comparing apples to apples I know,but the Hydro trans makes the job so much nicer.

/ Courage 20hp v-twin #5  
The Command and Courage twins use the same blocks, heads, etc. All kohler V-twins have hydraulic lifters. Again, IMO, the difference in life-span is in regards to the 'cheaper' air filtration and shrouding on the Courage series. Keep your eye on the airfilter/housing, change the oil with some regularity and you'll be fine.

Joel

/ Courage 20hp v-twin
The Command and Courage twins use the same blocks, heads, etc. All kohler V-twins have hydraulic lifters. Again, IMO, the difference in life-span is in regards to the 'cheaper' air filtration and shrouding on the Courage series. Keep your eye on the airfilter/housing, change the oil with some regularity and you'll be fine.

Joel

Got it,thanks JT