2160 noisy deck - with sparks

/ 2160 noisy deck - with sparks #1  

claimsman

Tractor
cub 2160
Getting sparks from blades obviously hitting something. Everything looks tight and I can't see where they are hitting, any suggested causes?

/ 2160 noisy deck - with sparks #2  
Are those stock OEM blades, or replacement blades from another company. First guess is they're the wrong size and are hitting each other.

Check the blades carefully for any signs of contact. If they're sparking, there will be marks somewhere.

/ 2160 noisy deck - with sparks
can't find anything at first glance with a light. Pulling tomorrow night for closer inspection. Belt off, all pullies tight. Can the blades overlap? These are non oe blades which have been on for at least 100 hours without previous incident. I usually sharpen on and lube a couple of times a season.

/ 2160 noisy deck - with sparks #4  
Whew! It could be a hunnerd things....are there any baffles loose under the deck? Are the spindles tight? You mentioned noise....is it the pulley in the middle?? My 2176 had a bad noise from the pulley bearing going bad...a blasted CHINESE SEALED BEARING with no grease fitting. I replaced it and drilled out the cavity and put a grease fitting in it with timekin bearings....tremendous difference in the noise and cutting power! Makes no sense to put a sealed bearing on any of these things!
I would look at these things first and then if nothing appears out of norm look farther....good luck.

/ 2160 noisy deck - with sparks
all good. carrier wheel mount on the front had cracked off and, when moving, would fall under the front of the deck and hit the blades. it was unnoticeable until the deck was removed. Straightened and welded back into place.