Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #32  
i was wondering if i could just try sucking out the fluid with a tube pushed down to the bottom of the reservoir and a suction device. this seems like it would drain out almost as much as just turning it upside down. any thoughts?
when i replace with 20w50, i want to use a synthetic. i thought about royal purple, any recommendations?
hey z28 clone, don't know about you, but I've got a matching numbers 69 ss 396 camaro and it seems my lawnmowers give me more trouble than my cars.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #33  
That's correct. Today's lawnmowers have more technology than our play toys.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #34  
OK, I NEED HELP AGAIN. i took the trans off. Old Machinist, you were right not hard at all expect i got a gash in my knee when i slid into the muffler shroud and probably a case of west nile. i forgot how fun mechanicing is for me.
anyway, when i took it off, there is hardly any fluid coming out. i knew it was probably low, but it was still working. i have been overfilling it trying to see if it just had air in the system. i have noticed some fluid coming out around where the fill port hose is connected to the fill port when it gets hot, but i just thought this was the extra fluid i put it there getting hot and leaking out. i have never seen any fluid coming out around the main body of the trans, but it was so low i have to wonder if i do have a leak somewhere.
i tighten all the bolts holding the cover to the main housing, but did not want to over tighten them. should the 20w50 be just pouring out when i turn it upside down or do i need to let it drain overnight? i just have it upside, should i put it in another position and should the bypass be in neutral or drive mode?
if i have a leak somewhere, i guess to only thing to do would be to put in back on, filler up and run it to look for leaks; but i thought i did that already.
could there be something wrong internally where something is getting the oil so hot, it's expanding and blowing out the fill port? any comments welcome.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #35  
The manual says it's suppose to hold around 60 oz. So I'd let it drain awhile to see.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #36  
i let it drain overnight, but not much fluid is coming out at all. probably less than 8 oz. i just had it turned upside down, should i stand it on the back end so the fluid runs from the front part to the back, then turn it upside down so it will come out the fill port? should the bypass be forward (disengaged so it is in neutral) or backward like when mowing and you want power to the wheel?
thanks.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #37  
It looks like from the pictures in the service manual that the fluid should just come out by turning it with the fill port down. The only other way to make sure it is drained is to remove the side cover but If any of the screws are corroded in they could break off. I had that happen on my Z-Force 50. You said you were able to tighten them so you may not have any problems. You would need some RTV sealant to put it back on.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #38  
i've let it drain for 2 days and oil is still slowly coming out. i've flipped it around a few ways to see if i could be sure to get anything that may be trapped. Still not a lot of oil came out. i wonder if my filter (this one is internal, not spin on) could be clogged not letting to fluid drain out?

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #39  
Strangely, I've the same problem which began this summer on my zforce 50 right at 54 hours at 1.5 years of age and 6 months before the end of warranty. I also bought the extended 4 year warranty from Tractor Supply. Now here is the BIG RUB. It is now in the shop for the second time for this issue. The first time, they could not replicate the problem so cub would not let them do anything. The second time (now) it went in the beginning of Aug 09 and as of Sept 3 09 is still there torn down with the following issues: The cylinder is pitted extenisvly, the service center says it is from "water in the oil" from condensation, since it is water in the oil, cub, mtd, and TSC warranty refuse to cover it, (it rolled from Cub warranty to TSC extended while sitting in the shop) I spoke to the Alabama Regional MTD rep today and he simply refered me back to Cub. I'm not going to take this one sitting down. The hydro fluid on a cub is "supposed" to be designed to absorb this type of moisture - at least I assume so from the old years with IH and the hyrdo farm tractors we used - sad thing is I mow a nearly perfectly flat roughly 2 acres and keep the mower in a shed so it's not abused in any way. I'm normally a very easy going guy, but this has got me a little riled up and I think it's time for cub owners to make Cub Cadet ante up and cover our losses, this is obviously a common problem, according to several service centers, mostly with the left transmission, it will work for awhile then suddenly stop while moving along, I've had several quite dangerous occurences from it. So far I've contacted the local Fox Affiliate to start a Fox On Your Side investigation on behalf of Cub Cadet owners, tomorrow, I'll be speaking with an attorney re. the merits of class action.

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #40  
I have a zrt 50 2005 bought the 4 year warrantee tsc and the first two times they couldn't duplicate it so they didn't list it as a tranny problem so on the third they could refuse the lemon replacement clause and now no warrantee.and it is bad again if cub doesn't do something tsc should or hydro gear at 3000.00 bucks this mower should last a lot longer....Worthless unless I want to cut in one spot in a circle not even zero turn!!!!!!